29.4544, Jobs: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics: Asst/Assoc Professor, University of Edinburgh

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 15 22:34:09 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-4544. Thu Nov 15 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.4544, Jobs: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics: Asst/Assoc Professor, University of Edinburgh

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2018 17:33:29
From: Nik Gisborne [hod.lel at ed.ac.uk]
Subject: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics: Asst/Assoc Professor, University of Edinburgh, UK

University or Organization: University of Edinburgh
Department: Linguistics and English Language
Job Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Web Address: https://www.ed.ac.uk/ppls/linguistics-and-english-language
Job Title: Lecturer/Senior Lecturer in the Cognitive Science of Language
Job Rank: Asst/Assoc Professor

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics

Job Description:
The department of Linguistics and English Language at the University of
Edinburgh is looking for a Lecturer/Senior Lecturer (in the UK system,
equivalent to Assistant/Associate Professor in the US system), in the
Cognitive Science of Language.

The successful candidate will have a relevant PhD. They will contribute
original research, high quality teaching, public impact, and leadership in an
area of the Cognitive Science of Language. The posts include teaching at all
levels of the curriculum in the area, contributing to our thriving
undergraduate and MSc programmes, and supervising PhD students. The successful
candidate will also be expected to build collaborations and to demonstrate
potential for attracting external grant funding. An excellent publication
record for your career stage and the potential to make a significant
contribution to the research culture of the School are essential.

We are open to candidates from a variety of different primary and secondary
fields (e.g., language evolution, psycholinguistics, language acquisition,
phonetics, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, pragmatics). Whatever the
specific primary or secondary field, we expect that candidates will have a
background in experimental methodology and quantitative analysis, and can
teach these methods at a high level. We particularly encourage candidates with
a collaborative approach, who can envision themselves working with
theoreticians and experimentalists in a variety of fields, and who can situate
their study of language in the wider study of cognition and/or other
scientific fields.

The job packs and information about how to apply can be found on this page:
https://www.ed.ac.uk/ppls/about/vacancies

To apply, please see the application link provided below, reference number:
045866.

We are also advertising a job in Semantics. Applicants who wish to be
considered for both posts should apply to each separately. Our online
e-recruitment system makes the process of applying twice simple by allowing
applicants to copy over and edit previous applications.

Informal enquiries can be made to Nik Gisborne, Head of Linguistics and
English Language, at the contact information below.

Application Deadline: 14-Dec-2018

Web Address for Applications: https://www.ed.ac.uk/human-resources/jobs
Contact Information:
	Nik Gisborne