29.4582, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Canada

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Nov 19 19:47:42 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-4582. Mon Nov 19 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.4582, Calls: Applied Linguistics/Canada

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2018 14:46:26
From: Jeff Bale [jeff.bale at utoronto.ca]
Subject: Multidisciplinary Approaches in Language Policy and Planning

Full Title: Multidisciplinary Approaches in Language Policy and Planning
Short Title: LPP Conference

Date: 22-Aug-2019 - 24-Aug-2019
Location: Toronto, Canada
Contact Person: Jeff Bale
Meeting Email: OISE.LPP at utoronto.ca
Web Site: https://wordpress.oise.utoronto.ca/lpp-conference/call-for-papers/

Call Deadline: 28-Feb-2019

Meeting Description:

Annual conference convening research and practitioner sessions from multiple
disciplines on language policy and planning questions.

Call for Papers:

We invite papers and colloquia that approach language policy from a variety of
theoretical and methodological perspectives, and in a variety of contexts,
from the local/institutional to the national/ global.

Abstracts of up to 300 words are welcome that address topics such as (but not
limited to):

Official & non-official language policies
Language-in-education policies
Language attrition, language revitalization + LP
Heritage language policies
LP and political economy
LP, globalization, and superdiversity
LP and the workplace
 LP and lingua franca
LP and Indigeneity
LP and transnational communities
LP, signed languages, and Deaf studies
LP and anti-racism/anti-oppression
LP and political theory National identities and language policies
LP and economics Methods of LP inquiry

Please see the conference website for details on how to format and submit your
proposal:

https://wordpress.oise.utoronto.ca/lpp-conference/submit-an-abstract/

We especially encourage language-policy practitioners to submit paper and/or
colloquia sessions to share their work. We can imagine various session
structures, including:

overviews of a specific program (e.g., how a local, regional, or provincial
language policy supports language revitalization programming, in which
government representatives, teachers, and curriculum developers co-present);
roundtable discussions in which policy-actors in a particular sector engage in
dialogue about common issues and challenges they face in their work; and
practitioner-research sessions that present findings from inquiry into a given
language policy initiative.

Focus for 2019:

For this year's conference, we invite paper, colloquium, and practitioner
proposals that are specifically oriented on critical approaches to the future
of the field of Language Policy and Planning. These perspectives might be
rooted in empirical or conceptual analysis, or a mixture thereof; and
consistent with the tradition of this conference, we invite arguments from
various disciplinary perspectives. One sign of how LPP has matured into a
discipline unto itself is the appearance of multiple texts meant to define the
parameters of the field. We are over a decade out from the first books that
established LPP as a robust discipline (e.g. Ricento, 2006; Shohamy, 2006;
Spolsky, 2004). More recently, Johnson (2013) and Hult and Johnson (2015) have
offered useful updates with their books on the core concepts and research
methods, respectively, in the field. Indeed, there are now two handbooks on
LPP, so you know we've made the big time!

>From this perspective of an established discipline, we specifically invite
papers that offer critical approaches that challenge scholars and
practitioners of LPP to think about and do our work differently. In the past,
the LPP Conference has not published a conference proceedings. However, for
this year, we plan to propose an edited volume that compiles the best papers
from the 2019 conference presenting critical perspectives on the future of the
field. When submitting your paper, colloquium, or practitioner proposal,
please indicate whether you would like your work considered as part of this
publication.

The deadline for submissions is Thursday, February 28, 2019.

For more information, please visit the Call for Papers page of the conference
website: https://wordpress.oise.utoronto.ca/lpp-conference/call-for-papers/

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: