29.4740, Books: What Is Sociolinguistics? 2nd Edition: Van Herk

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Nov 29 22:29:59 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-4740. Thu Nov 29 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.4740, Books: What Is Sociolinguistics? 2nd Edition: Van Herk

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2018 17:29:54
From: Aleksandra Tasic [atasic at wiley.com]
Subject: What Is Sociolinguistics? 2nd Edition: Van Herk

Title: What Is Sociolinguistics? 2nd Edition
Publication Year: 2017
Publisher: Wiley
	   http://www.wiley.com

Book URL: https://www.wiley.com/en-us/What+Is+Sociolinguistics%3F%2C+2nd+Edition-p-9781118960745

Author: Gerard Van Herk

Paperback: ISBN:  9781118960745 Pages: 280 Price: U.S. $ 39.95

Abstract:

How is our language affected by our ethnicity, gender, and region? How are our
conversations and other interactions structured? How does society view and
regulate language? How do we use language to present ourselves to others? In
this revised and updated second edition of the popular What Is
Sociolinguistics? Gerard Van Herk explores these and other intriguing
questions about language, how we use it, and its relationships to society. Van
Herk guides the reader on a tour through the major issues that define the
field, including region, status, gender, time, language attitudes,
interaction, and style, at the same time exploring the sociolinguistics of
multilingualism, culture and ethnicity, language contact, and education.

This second edition has been revised and updated to include new and more
exercises, discussion questions, and suggested readings, as well as expanded
chapters exploring gender duality and Latino English. Key readings are
introduced in Van Herk’s clear and engaging voice, which accompanies the text
throughout, providing an accessible point of entry for those new to, or less
familiar with, sociolinguistics. Chapter summaries and textboxes are similarly
employed to signpost and illuminate learning. A companion website features
PowerPoint slides for each chapter with suggestions for framing class
discussions and exercises, further examples of concepts discussed, additional
reading suggestions, and ready-to-go slides for class presentation.

Packed with the latest research and practical teaching aids, What is
Sociolinguistics? Second edition retains the highly-praised character of its
predecessor and provides an essential up-to-date text for both students and
instructors alike.

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=132073

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: