29.3851, Confs: Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition, Phonetics, Phonology/Brazil

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sun Oct 7 22:23:39 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3851. Sun Oct 07 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3851, Confs: Applied Linguistics, Language Acquisition, Phonetics, Phonology/Brazil

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Sun, 07 Oct 2018 18:23:19
From: Ronaldo Lima Jr [ronaldojr at letras.ufc.br]
Subject: Phonological Acquisition of English-L2

Phonological Acquisition of English-L2

Date: 06-May-2019 - 06-May-2019
Location: Maceió. Alagoas, Brazil
Contact: Ronaldo Lima Jr
Contact Email: ronaldojr at letras.ufc.br
Meeting URL: https://www.abralin.org/abralin50/programacao-simposios/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Phonetics; Phonology

Meeting Description:

(Session of ABRALIN50)

The Phonological Acquisition of Foreign Languages is a multidisciplinary field
which has been growing tremendously worldwide. It is a subfield of Linguistics
dealing with knowledge originated in various other subfields of linguistic
studies. Besides, for the first time in history, a language has more
non-native than native speakers. However, even though the teaching of English
as a Foreign Language has been mandatory in basic education for decades,
Brazilians still lack appropriate oral proficiency in the language. In higher
education the reality is no different. Difficulties for the
internationalization of Brazilian universities related to the low proficiency
in English by Brazilians is evident, and one of the great challenges faced by
Brazilian learners concerns phonological development.

Therefore, this symposium aims at gathering researchers from different regions
and academic centers to discuss the main theoretical and methodological
challenges faced in this research field. Through the presentation and
discussion of studies, we hope to engage participants in reflecting upon how
we can improve the experimental methods that characterize our studies. We also
seek to motivate discussions on the need to align the methodological decisions
in our studies with the concept of language and of linguistic development that
underlie our projects.

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: