29.3939, Jobs: English; Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Rochester Institute of Technology

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Oct 11 14:46:00 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3939. Thu Oct 11 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3939, Jobs: English; Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Rochester Institute of Technology

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2018 10:45:41
From:  Search Committee [lmhgsl at rit.edu]
Subject: English; Computational Linguistics: Assistant Professor, Rochester Institute of Technology, New York, USA

University or Organization: Rochester Institute of Technology
Department: Department of English
Job Location: New York, USA
Web Address: https://www.rit.edu/cla/english/
Job Title: Instructional Faculty - English - Tenure Track
Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Instructional Faculty
4105BR
College of Liberal Arts
CLA-English

Faculty Type (Tenure Status): Tenure-Track
Faculty Rank: Assistant Professor
Employment Category: Fulltime
Anticipated Start Date: 14-Aug-2019

Department/College Description:
The College Department:
The Department of English offers a wide range of courses, with a disciplinary
focus on our four field areas: Creative Writing, Digital Literatures &
Comparative Media, English, and Language Science. Across disciplines, we enjoy
close partnerships with Digital Humanities & Social Sciences, Interactive
Games and Media, Art and Design, and Computer Science. Our faculty teach
courses in fantasy and speculative fiction, language science or natural
language processing, and offerings in literary texts, digital artifacts, and
emerging media. The English Department also hosts the Center for Engaged
Storycraft (CES), an interdisciplinary center that engages scholars,
communities, and students in practices of story, story-based analytics, and
technical craft.

Detailed Job Description:
The Department of English at the Rochester Institute of Technology invites
applications for a full-time, tenure-track Assistant Professor of English with
an emphasis on digital humanities, beginning in August 2019. The candidate
must have a PhD in English or a related field in hand by the time of
appointment. The candidate must have achieved specialization in any method of
digital humanities research, broadly conceived. We are especially interested
in candidates who will contribute on a regular basis to multi-disciplinary
programs. Applicants should demonstrate technical/computational expertise in
their area of specialization.

Candidates must demonstrate excellence in teaching at the undergraduate level
and have an active scholarly profile, with knowledge of one or more
programming languages. Qualified candidates will show success with critical
and creative digital humanities activity. Candidates should also demonstrate a
clear plan for pursuing sponsored research. We are especially interested in
qualified candidates who will exhibit the ability to contribute in meaningful
ways to the college's continuing commitment to cultural diversity, pluralism,
and individual differences.

The successful applicant will be expected to teach introductory courses in the
Department of English, core courses in RIT's Digital Humanities and Social
Sciences program, and upper-division English courses in the applicant's
area(s) of expertise. Courses offered range from Literature, Culture, and
Media, Text and Code, Literary Geographies, Games and Literature, Media
Adaptation, and Literature and Technology. Our DHSS curriculum includes
courses in culture, ethics, media archeology, multimodal writing and
emphasizes projects, capstones, and internships or co-ops. Teaching load will
be 2/3.

We are seeking an individual who has the ability and interest in contributing
to a community committed to student centeredness; professional development and
scholarship; integrity and ethics; respect, diversity and pluralism;
innovation and flexibility; and teamwork and collaboration. Select to view
links to RIT's core values, honor code, and statement of diversity.

How To Apply
Apply online at the application link provided below. Keyword Search: 4105BR

Web Address for Applications: http://apptrkr.com/1307614
Contact Information
	Search Committee
	Email: lmhgsl at rit.edu