29.3951, Books: The Languages of Humor: Sover (ed.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Oct 12 15:45:53 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3951. Fri Oct 12 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3951, Books: The Languages of Humor: Sover (ed.)

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2018 11:45:44
From: Lianna Iwanikiw [lianna.iwanikiw at bloomsbury.com]
Subject: The Languages of Humor: Sover (ed.)

Title: The Languages of Humor
Subtitle: Verbal, Visual, and Physical Humor
Series Title: Bloomsbury Advances in Semiotics

Publication Year: 2018
Publisher: Bloomsbury Publishing (formerly The Continuum International Publishing Group)
	   http://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/

Book URL: https://www.bloomsbury.com/the-languages-of-humor-9781350062290/

Editor: Arie Sover

Electronic: ISBN:  9781350062313 Pages: 336 Price: U.K. £ 102.60 Comment: ePUB
Electronic: ISBN:  9781350062306 Pages: 336 Price: U.K. £ 102.60 Comment: ePDF
Hardback: ISBN:  9781350062290 Pages: 336 Price: U.K. £ 95.00

Abstract:

Why are things funny? How has humor changed over the centuries? How can humor
be a political force?

Featuring expert authors from across the globe, "The Languages of Humor"
discusses three main types of humour: verbal, visual, and physical. Despite
the differences between them, all have a common purpose, showing us in
different ways the reality that we live in, and how we can reflect on that
reality. To this end, the book shows how humor has been used to address such
topics as the Holocaust and the Soviet Union, and why it has been
controversial in cases including Charlie Hebdo.

"The Languages of Humor" explores a subject that is of interest in a wide
range of intellectual disciplines including sociology, psychology,
communication, philosophy, history, social sciences, linguistics, computer
science, literature, theatre, education, and cultural studies. This volume
features contributions from world-leading academics, some of who have
professional backgrounds in this field. This unique research-led book, which
includes over 20 illustrations, offers a top-down analysis of humor studies.

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics
                     Semantics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=130713

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: