29.4232, Qs: Informed [+/- specificity] Judgments, Please

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Oct 31 19:15:57 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-4232. Wed Oct 31 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.4232, Qs:  Informed [+/- specificity] Judgments, Please

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2018 15:15:11
From: Michal Paradowski [m.b.paradowski at uw.edu.pl]
Subject: Informed [+/- specificity] Judgments, Please

Hello, Everyone!

The semantic feature of [+specific] is not uncontroversial; while it is
usually explained as reference to one particular (specific, unique) instance
of a class, there seems to be disagreement as to whether the speaker needs to
be certain of the referent’s identity. I am therefore trying to collect
confident [+/-specific] evaluations of the NPs in the following list of
sentences. Informed feedback will be greatly appreciated!

A man was taken to hospital following a shooting in Bridge Street. – identity
known to the speaker
A man was taken to hospital following a shooting in Bridge Street. – identity
unknown to the speaker
A man came over asking about you. – I have interacted with him
If a man should come over asking about me, pretend that you don’t know me.
A friend of mine came over.
I’m looking for an apartment.
I met a survivor from hurricane Michael.
... rumours about a monk who decided to venture into the library during the
night, to look for something Malachi had refused to give him, and he saw
serpents, headless men, and men with two heads...
Bill intends to visit a museum every day. – 3 readings
A student in Syntax cheated on the exam.
George met a student of his.
Every reporter talked to a student. – every reporter talked to the same
student
Every reporter talked to a student. – various students were talked to
I’m looking for the manager (whoever that may be – I don't know their
identity).
I’m looking for a card I’ve left here earlier today.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

-Michal Paradowski

                     General Linguistics