29.3475, Jobs: Sociolinguistics: Rank Open, Stanford University

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 11 12:59:51 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3475. Tue Sep 11 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3475, Jobs: Sociolinguistics: Rank Open, Stanford University

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2018 08:59:24
From: Kelly Battcher [battcher at stanford.edu]
Subject: Sociolinguistics: Rank Open, Stanford University, California, USA

University or Organization: Stanford University
Department: Linguistics
Job Location: California, USA
Web Address: http://linguistics.stanford.edu/
Job Title: Open Rank Professor of Linguistics, Sociolinguistics
Job Rank: Rank Open

Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics

The Department of Linguistics at Stanford University is seeking applicants for
an open rank position in Sociolinguistics, beginning September 1, 2019.
Applicants will be expected to teach courses in Sociolinguistics at both the
graduate and undergraduate levels, and to maintain an active research program.
We seek someone who complements our current strengths in quantitative
approaches to variation and social meaning. The successful candidate will
demonstrate an ongoing commitment to fieldwork and to analysis based on rich
data. We value engagement with social theory and style, and we particularly
welcome applicants working in any of the following areas: race and ethnicity,
morphosyntactic variation, acquisition and development, and variation in
interaction. The Department particularly values candidates whose work engages
with multiple subfields of linguistics and applies methodologically rigorous
empirical work to significant theoretical questions.

Applicants should submit the following via the application below:
- Cover letter;
- CV;
- Brief research statement (not to exceed two pages);
- Statement of teaching interests (not to exceed one page); and
- Up to three representative samples of published or unpublished work.
Candidates at the junior level should also request three reference letters to
be submitted on their behalf via Academic Jobs Online. Candidates at the
tenured level may be contacted about references later in the application
process.

For full consideration, materials must be received by Wednesday, October 31,
2018. Review of applications will begin on that date and will continue until
the position is filled.

The Department's web page is provided above.

Please direct all inquiries to Kelly Battcher at the contact information
provided below.

Stanford is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without
regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
national origin, disability, protected veteran status, or any other
characteristic protected by law. Stanford also welcomes applications from
others who would bring additional dimensions to the University’s research,
teaching and clinical missions.

Application Deadline: 31-Oct-2018

Web Address for Applications: http://academicjobsonline.org/ajo/jobs/11826
Contact Information: