29.3581, Summer Schools: Second Language Acquisition: some basics (8-11 April 2019)/Italy

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Sep 18 16:22:16 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3581. Tue Sep 18 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3581, Summer Schools:  Second Language Acquisition: some basics (8-11 April 2019)/Italy

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 12:22:09
From: Gaia Gaia Chiuchiù [gaia.chiuchiu at port.ac.uk]

Second Language Acquisition: some basics (8-11 April 2019)

Host Institution:
Website: http://assisisummerschool.com/prodotto/second-language-acquisition-some-basics-april-8-11/

Dates: 08-Apr-2019 - 11-Apr-2019
Location: Assisi, Umbria, Italy

Focus: This course will provide participants with a basic introduction to second and foreign language learning.
Minimum Education Level: No Minimum

We will ask the fundamental question of what it means to learn a second or
foreign language, illustrating basic principles by underscoring common
perceptions and misperceptions of how language learning takes place. We will
illustrate and define commonly-discussed concepts such as interlanguage, the
role of the first language, order of acquisition (is there a natural order?),
input, interaction, error correction, and output, among others. Commonly
accepted principles will, to the extent possible, be illustrated with concrete
examples. In the course, we will consider students in a classroom differ from
one another (for example, in aptitude, motivation, attitude, anxiety) and how
these might impact their language learning success or lack of success.
Finally, we will take the concepts discussed and consider how they apply to a
classroom context, asking the question of the relationship between teaching
and learning and, in particular, discussing differences between classroom and
natural learning. At the end of this course, participants will be guided in
the development of materials focusing on any of the concepts discussed in the
class.

Linguistic Field(s): Language Acquisition

Tuition: 340 EUR

Registration: 16-Sep-2018 to 24-Mar-2019

Contact Person: Gaia Chiuchiù
                Phone: + 39 075 815281
                Email: gaia.chiuchiu at port.ac.uk

Apply by Email: info at aliassisi.it