29.3632, All: In memoriam: Wolfgang Viereck

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Sep 20 22:34:27 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3632. Thu Sep 20 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3632, All: In memoriam: Wolfgang Viereck

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2018 18:33:18
From: Manfred Krug [manfred.krug at uni-bamberg.de]
Subject: In memoriam: Wolfgang Viereck

It is with great sadness that we announce the death of Prof. Dr. Dr. h.c.
(mult.) Wolfgang Viereck, who passed away on 4th September 2018.
Wolfgang Viereck was born in Berlin in 1937. He studied English, French and
Political Science at the Philipps University in Marburg. After his Ph.D. at
Hamburg University in 1966 and his ''Habilitation'' at the University of Mainz
in 1970, he became a full professor of English linguistics at the University
of Graz in 1973. In 1978, he moved to the University of Bamberg as the
founding Chair of English Linguistics and Medieval Studies (''Englische
Sprachwissenschaft und Mediävistik''), a position that he held until his
retirement in September 2005.
A detailed description of Wolfgang Viereck's outstanding career can be found
in an article written by his wife, Dr. Karin Viereck: ''Wolfgang Viereck –
Mensch und Wissenschaftler''. This article was originally published as part of
a festschrift on the occasion of his 60th birthday: Language in Time and
Space, edited by Heinrich Ramisch and Kenneth Wynne (Franz Steiner Verlag
Stuttgart, 1997). The text can be found here:

https://www.uni-bamberg.de/fileadmin/uni/fakultaeten/split_lehrstuehle/englisc
he_sprachwissenschaft/personen/dokumente/Wolfgang_Viereck_-_Mensch_und_Wissens
chaftler.pdf

Wolfgang Viereck's memory will be cherished by his colleagues in the
Department of English and American Studies. We offer our deep condolences to
his wife, Dr. Karin Viereck, and his family.

Manfred Krug
Chair of English Linguistics, Bamberg

* For those who would like to send a personal message to Dr. Karin Viereck,
please send an email to heinrich.ramisch at uni-bamberg.de or a letter addressed
to Dr. Heinrich Ramisch; An der Universität 9; University of Bamberg; 96045
Bamberg; Germany. Your message will be passed on to her confidentially in due
course.

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: