29.3673, Disc: Vowel Shift, Milk to Melk

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 24 17:44:02 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3673. Mon Sep 24 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3673, Disc: Vowel Shift, Milk to Melk

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 13:43:40
From: Lisa Buller [lbuller at bsu.edu]
Subject: Vowel Shift, Milk to Melk

I've seen a couple of archived threads about this topic.  I have a couple of
friends who say ''melk'' with a vowel that sounds like or close to /ɛ/,
instead of ''milk,'' with the vowel sounding like /ɪ/.  My friends are men in
their low 30s, and are from Midwest, Northish Central Indiana, and have lived
there most of their lives.  A professor of mine said she has brothers who grew
up in Connecticut who also say ''melk'', but neither of us says it this way.
The archived thread also mentioned people saying ''pellow'' (like mellow)
instead of ''pillow'', which I have heard before, but I did not note who said
it.

I'd like to conduct a quick informal survey, and see if anyone else has
noticed themselves or others who do this, and what area you are from.

It seems like this might be related to, but not quite the same as, the
Northern Cities Vowel Shift., since that shift is lowering and backing of the
/ɪ/,  so that it is more central, like /ə/, not /ɛ/.  The shift to /ɛ/ also
(at least anecdotally) does not seem to be just in Midwest speakers.

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: