29.3677, FYI: Online: Paul Corballis, Color Envisioned; Sept 27

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Sep 24 17:47:09 UTC 2018

LINGUIST List: Vol-29-3677. Mon Sep 24 2018. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 29.3677, FYI: Online: Paul Corballis, Color Envisioned; Sept 27

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2018 13:46:33
From: Dirk Den Ouden [ouden at mailbox.sc.edu]

Thursday, September 27, 2pm ET
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Color Envisioned: Concepts of Colour in the Blind, Colorblind, and Sighted
Paul Corballis, Ph.D.
The University of Auckland

How do people born without sight – or with anomalous color vision – conceive
of color?  For most of us, color seems such an intrinsic part of visual
experience that it is hard to separate from the physical properties of the
world.  Yet, unlike many aspects of vision, color has no analog in other
senses, so the experience of color cannot be readily captured by a blind
person.  In this talk I will discuss a recent series of studies in which we
used multidimensional scaling to compare the understanding of color between
samples of congenitally blind and adventitiously blind, people with red-green
color blindness, and normal trichromatic observers.  We found striking
evidence that blind people – as well as people with anomalous color vision –
are able to develop a sophisticated understanding of the relationships between
colors they cannot see.  The results imply a strong role for semantics in
organizing our experience and understanding of color.

This lecture will be held at the University of South Carolina:
Room 140, Discovery I, 915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Date: Thursday, September 27, Time: 2pm – 3pm Eastern Time

The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173

You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173