30.1444, Thank you to the University of Antarctica

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Apr 1 18:24:58 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1444. Mon Apr 01 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1444, Thank you to the University of Antarctica

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Nils Hjortnaes <nils at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2019 14:24:15
From: LINGUIST List [linguist at linguistlist.org]
Subject: Thank you to the University of Antarctica

Hello all,

We here at the LINGUIST List would like to give a shout out to the University
of Antarctica for their extremely generous donation of $20,000. As the #6 top
university in Linguistics in the world, with the #4 best graduate Linguistics
program, their work is invaluable to the community, especially their latest
project documenting the indigenous languages of Antarctica.

With such a large area and the difficulty of travel across the continent, it
is no surprise that there are diverse dialects throughout Antarctica. The goal
of the U of A’s most recent project is to document the features of these
various dialects and, eventually, to create a dialectal map of the entire
continent. It is a bold undertaking, but certainly a valuable one for any
future researchers interested in the indigenous Antarctic populations.

For example, on the northern side of the continent, it is common to include
only one squawk between trills. In contrast, on the northern side of the
continent, they tend to reduplicate the squawks between trills. These are both
totally different than the northern side of the continent where they lengthen
the vowel on the squawk, a very unique feature.

So thank you once again to the University of Antarctica, both for your
valuable work and your generous donation to our Fund Drive.

If you appreciate services provided by the LINGUIST List like book and job
announcements, please consider donating to our annual fund drive campaign. We
rely on your donations to continue operating and supporting our editors.

If you’ve already donated or just donated, thank you, we appreciate it.