30.1470, Books: Information structure in Isthmus Zapotec narrative and conversation: Bueno Holle

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Apr 3 23:55:33 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1470. Wed Apr 03 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1470, Books: Information structure in Isthmus Zapotec narrative and conversation: Bueno Holle

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2019 19:55:20
From: Sebastian Nordhoff [Sebastian.Nordhoff at langsci-press.org]

Title: Information structure in Isthmus Zapotec narrative and
conversation
Publication Year: 2019
Publisher: Language Science Press
	   http://langsci-press.org

Book URL: http://langsci-press.org/catalog/book/219

Author: Juan José Bueno Holle

Electronic: ISBN:  9783961101290 Pages: 214 Price: Europe EURO 0 Comment: Open Access

Abstract:

This book presents an in-depth description of information structure in Isthmus
Zapotec, an Otomanguean language spoken by around 50,000 people in
southeastern Oaxaca, Mexico, and represents the first book-length treatment of
information structure in a Mesoamerican language. Three main observations
motivate the study:

1. Strong documentation and a relatively large and active speaker community
create a unique opportunity to document information structure in Isthmus
Zapotec and to study the language as it is used by speakers in everyday life;

2. As a tonal and verb-initial language, the examination of Isthmus Zapotec
represents a chance to explore the possible combinations of tone, intonation,
morphology and verb-initial syntax that may occur in the coding of information
structure; and

3. The close analysis of spontaneous speech in an endangered language
contributes to our theoretical understanding of information structure and
informs our knowledge of language documentation practices and revitalization
efforts.

Overall, the analysis presented here demonstrates the value and need for
information structure studies to document and analyze naturally-occurring
data.

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics
                     Semantics
                     Syntax

Subject Language(s): Zapotec, Isthmus (zai)

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=135113