30.2988, Support: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Post Doc, Vrije Universiteit Brussel

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Aug 1 14:39:31 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2988. Thu Aug 01 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2988, Support: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics: Post Doc, Vrije Universiteit Brussel

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 01 Aug 2019 10:38:34
From: Bart de Boer [bart at ai.vub.ac.be]

 Institution/Organization: Vrije Universiteit Brussel
Department: AI-lab
Web Address: http://ai.vub.ac.be/

Level: Post Doc

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Phonetics
Evolution of Language

Visiting Post Doc in cognitively plausible emergent behavior.

In the context of seed funding for AI research in Flanders
(https://ai.vub.ac.be/node/1687) prof. Bart de Boer is looking for a short
term (three-six months) visiting postdoc for the origins of language group of
the AI-lab of the Vrije Universiteit Brussels
(https://ai.vub.ac.be/node/1689).

Position offered:
We offer a three-six months visiting postdoc position funded by a scholarship
and with a bench fee. The work should consist of agent-based simulation, or of
experiments to investigate emergence of behavior in a cognitively realistic
setting. This means that in a computer simulation, the agents are not fully
rational and that they show behavior similar to that of humans, and that
interests of agents are not necessarily always aligned. Experiments should
focus on factors that are typical for human settings, but that are generally
idealized away, such as altruism, conflicts of interests and other
"non-rational" behaviors. We are most interested in modeling emergence of
speech, but we welcome applications proposing other areas, such as traffic or
economic interactions.

What we are looking for:
We are looking for an enthusiastic postdoc with a track record in artificial
intelligence, cognitive science, linguistics or equivalent and who has either
experience programming agent-based or cognitive models, or who has experience
with the interaction between computer models and experiments. The starting
date is negotiable, but preferably no later than September 2019.

How to apply:
Send a recent CV, detailing your academic record and your programming
experience as well as a letter of motivation to prof. Bart de Boer. Be sure to
include a short (1-page) outline of your proposed project in the letter of
motivation, as well as a short planning. At this stage we ask you not to send
copies of your diplomas or letters of reference. These we will request
directly if we decide to further pursue your application, If you have any
questions please email prof. Bart de Boer.

Contact Information:
	prof Bart de Boer
	bart at ai.vub.ac.be