30.3034, Diss: Linguistic Theories; Morphology; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Syntax: Doug Merchant: ''Idioms at the Interface(s): Towards a psycholinguistically grounded model of sentence generation''

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Aug 5 19:29:10 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3034. Mon Aug 05 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3034, Diss: Linguistic Theories; Morphology; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Syntax: Doug Merchant: ''Idioms at the Interface(s): Towards a psycholinguistically grounded model of sentence generation''

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 05 Aug 2019 15:29:04
From: Doug Merchant [mercator at uga.edu]

Institution: University of Georgia
Program: Department of Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2019

Author: Doug Merchant

Dissertation Title: Idioms at the Interface(s): Towards a psycholinguistically
grounded model of sentence generation

Dissertation URL:  https://www.researchgate.net/publication/334960876_IDIOMS_AT_THE_INTERFACES

Linguistic Field(s): Linguistic Theories
                     Morphology
                     Psycholinguistics
                     Semantics
                     Syntax

Dissertation Director(s):
Timothy Gupton
Vera Lee-Schoenfeld
Paula Schwanenflugel

Dissertation Abstract:

The primary goal of this dissertation is to demonstrate that a close analysis
of the syntactic and semantic properties of phrasal idioms, both with respect
to some well-known constraints on idioms’ syntactic mobility (e.g., Newmeyer,
1974; Nunberg, Sag, & Wasow, 1994; Jackendoff, 1997) and to some lesser-known
aspectual co-occurrence restrictions (McGinnis, 2002; Glasbey, 2003, 2007),
leads directly to the conclusion that the phonological forms of idioms are not
present in narrow syntax. I therefore propose a model of sentence generation
in which the conceptual-intentional system is involved at the outset of a
derivation in choosing phonologically null but semantically individuated Roots
(as in Pfau, 2009); this is what I refer to as the 'first lexical interface'.
These abstract Roots-as-nodes (following Acquaviva’s 2008 distinction), or
N-Roots, are the units processed by the computational component of the
grammar. Cyclically transferred to the semantic interface for interpretation
and the phonological interface for externalization (Chomsky, 2001, 2008), they
are paired at the latter with the phonological forms of Roots-as-exponents
(E-Roots), via syntactic and semantic feature mapping; I refer to this as the
'second lexical interface'. In this model, idioms are simply possible
exponents of N-Roots (which can also be exponed by non-idiomatic forms);
idiomaticity is therefore a property of the second lexical interface only.
This novel account of idioms, which are exceptional only in that they can be
complex E-Roots with multiple components, removes them from the theoretical
dustbin, and brings them in line with recent treatments of the syntax-lexicon
interface(s).

The secondary goal of this dissertation is to demonstrate that from the
psycholinguistic perspective, syntactic structure-building in the context of
language production cannot plausibly be modelled as a bottom-up process