30.3044, Books: Modality and Propositional Attitudes: Hegarty

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 6 22:08:00 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3044. Tue Aug 06 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3044, Books: Modality and Propositional Attitudes: Hegarty

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2019 18:07:25
From: Louise Bowes [lbowes at cambridge.org]

Title: Modality and Propositional Attitudes
Publication Year: 2019
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
	   http://cambridge.org

Book URL: https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/semantics-and-pragmatics/modality-and-propositional-attitudes?format=PB

Author: Michael Hegarty

Paperback: ISBN:  9781107449985 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 31.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781107449985 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 23.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781107449985 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 28.00

Abstract:

This book shows that the semantic analysis of modal notions of possibility and
necessity can be used to enhance our understanding of the interpretation of
reports of belief or emotional state. It introduces intuitive notation and
terminology to express ideas in modern theories of modal interpretation that
are normally represented in complex logical formulas, effectively updates the
1960s-era link between possible worlds and the semantics of propositional
attitude ascriptions, and reconciles two disparate views of the role of events
in semantic interpretation, that of Donald Davidson and that of David Lewis.
It reduces a host of variable behaviors of propositional attitude ascription
to an intuitive and precise distinction between ascriptions that merely
express a commitment to propositional content versus ones that attribute a
mental state to the holder of the propositional attitude. This leads to an
explanation of the nature and effects of the language disorder of fluent
aphasia.

Part I. Modality and Propositional Attitudes: 1. Epistemic modality; 2. Root
modality; 3. Bare attitude ascriptions; 4. Presupposition filtering and
bouletic ascriptions; Part II. Events and Propositional Attitudes: 5. Events
and states; 6. Full attitude ascriptions: individuating mental states through
propositional content; 7. Lower interpretation of negation; 8. Events in
epistemic and root modal interpretation; 9. Attitude ascription in child
development and Wernicke's aphasia.

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics
                     Semantics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=136914