30.3059, Books: The Language of Service Encounters: Félix-Brasdefer

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 7 23:45:58 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3059. Wed Aug 07 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3059, Books: The Language of Service Encounters: Félix-Brasdefer

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2019 19:45:35
From: Louise Bowes [lbowes at cambridge.org]

Title: The Language of Service Encounters
Subtitle: A Pragmatic-Discursive Approach
Publication Year: 2019
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
	   http://cambridge.org

Book URL: https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/discourse-analysis/language-service-encounters-pragmatic-discursive-approach?format=PB

Author: J. César Félix-Brasdefer

Paperback: ISBN:  9781108718752 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 31.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781108718752 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 23.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781108718752 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 28.00

Abstract:

Editor's Note: This is a new edition of a previously announced book.

Service encounters are ubiquitous in social interaction. We buy food and
everyday items in supermarkets, convenience stores, or markets; we purchase
merchandise in department stores; or we request information at a visitor
information center. This book offers a comprehensive account of service
encounters in commercial and non-commercial settings. Grounded in naturally
occurring face-to-face interactions and drawing on a pragmatic-discursive
approach, J. César Félix-Brasdefer sets out a framework for the analysis of
transactional and relational talk in various contexts in the United States and
Mexico. This book investigates cross-cultural and intra-lingual pragmatic
variation during the negotiation of service. The author provides a broad
review of research on service encounters to date, and analyzes characteristics
of sales transactions, such as participants' roles, pragmatic and discourse
functions of relational talk and address forms, the realization of politeness,
and changes in alignment from transactional to relational talk.

Introduction; 1. Approaches to service encounters: a pragmatic-discursive
analysis of social action; 2. Service encounters in commercial and
non-commercial settings; 3. Cross-cultural service encounters: negotiating
service in the United States and Mexico; 4. Intra-lingual pragmatic variation
in service encounters; 5. Negotiating service in Mexican markets; 6.
Intra-cultural service encounters at a US visitor information center; 7.
Relational talk and the negotiation of face in service encounters; 8. Forms of
address and politeness in service encounters; 9. Conclusions.

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Pragmatics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=137033