30.3105, Books: Awareness and Control in Sociolinguistic Research: Babel (ed.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Aug 13 17:59:37 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3105. Tue Aug 13 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3105, Books: Awareness and Control in Sociolinguistic Research: Babel (ed.)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Tue, 13 Aug 2019 13:59:11
From: Lucy Ridgway [lridgway at cambridge.org]

Title: Awareness and Control in Sociolinguistic Research
Publication Year: 2019
Publisher: Cambridge University Press
	   http://cambridge.org

Book URL: https://www.cambridge.org/us/academic/subjects/languages-linguistics/psycholinguistics-and-neurolinguistics/awareness-and-control-sociolinguistic-research?format=PB

Editor: Anna M. Babel

Paperback: ISBN:  9781107420816 Pages:  Price: U.S. $ 35.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781107420816 Pages:  Price: U.K. £ 23.99
Paperback: ISBN:  9781107420816 Pages:  Price: Europe EURO 28.00

Abstract:

Editor's Note: This is a new edition of a previously announced book.

The topic of awareness and control is an elephant in the room in
sociolinguistic research. To what extent are speakers aware of sociolinguistic
variables? Are there different types or levels of awareness? Is 'control' of
these variables a conscious or unconscious process, or is it some combination
of the two? Are the variables we are aware of necessarily those we control,
and vice versa? The extent to which speakers are aware of sociolinguistic
information and use it strategically may drastically affect our understanding
of the role that sociolinguistic cues play in the development of structural
categories. This volume constitutes the first concerted effort to understand
the nature of awareness and control using all the methodological and
theoretical tools at our disposal. The contributors employ a variety of
perspectives to address the relationship between awareness and control in
sociolinguistic research.

Foreword John R. Rickford; Preface Anna M. Babel; 1. Awareness, salience, and
stereotypes in exemplar-based models of speech production and perception Katie
Drager and Joelle Kirtley; 2. Sounding Chinese and listening Chinese:
awareness and knowledge in the laboratory Kevin B. McGowan; 3. Awareness and
acquisition of new dialect features Jennifer Nycz; 4. Processing grammatical
differences: perceiving versus noticing Lauren Squires; 5. What it means to be
an outsider: how exposure to regional variation shapes children's awareness of
regional accents in their native language Erica Beck; 6. Toward a cognitively
realistic model of meaningful sociolinguistic variation Kathryn
Campbell-Kibler; 7. Place-linked expectations and listener awareness of
regional accents Katie Carmichael; 8. WHADDAYAKNOW NOW? Dennis R. Preston; 9.
Silence as control: shame and self-consciousness in sociolinguistic
positioning Anna M. Babel; 10. Theorizing salience: orthographic practice and
the enfigurement of minority languages Nishaant Choksi and Barbra A. Meek; 11.
Sociolinguistic agency and the gendered voice: metalinguistic negotiations of
vocal masculinization among female-to-male transgender speakers Lal Zimman;

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=135613