30.3192, Diss: Syntax; Typology: Julianne M Doner: ''The EPP Across Languages''

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Aug 21 23:09:34 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-3192. Wed Aug 21 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.3192, Diss:  Syntax; Typology: Julianne M Doner: ''The EPP Across Languages''

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 19:09:28
From: Julianne Doner [julie.doner at mail.utoronto.ca]
Subject: The EPP Across Languages

Institution: University of Toronto
Program: Department of Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2019

Author: Julianne M Doner

Dissertation Title: The EPP Across Languages

Dissertation URL:  https://ling.auf.net/lingbuzz/004718

Linguistic Field(s): Syntax
                     Typology

Dissertation Director(s):
Diane Massam
Susana Béjar
María Cristina Cuervo

Dissertation Abstract:

The Extended Projection Principle (EPP) formalizes the requirement for a
subject in every clause. In this dissertation, I develop a typology of EPP
effects based on a sample of typologically, geographically, and genetically
diverse languages. I define the EPP as the obligatory movement of some element
into the inflectional domain, and argue that the EPP can vary in three
different dimensions: (i) whether an argument or a predicate is the goal of
the EPP-probe, (ii) whether the goal is a head or a phrase, and (iii) whether
a larger constituent is pied-piped. I demonstrate that these three dimensions
interact to create a total of seven different attested EPP types across
languages. I demonstrate that intra-linguistic alternations in EPP type are
attested, which provide evidence that these types are functionally equivalent
on some level. I also present the hypothesis that the EPP type of a language
should be predictable based on other properties of the language. As such, I
discuss several properties that co-occur with particular EPP types
cross-linguistically. For example, predicate-EPP languages pattern together by
having a high, defective T head, which results in a set of shared properties,
including: (i) a lack of non-finite clauses, (ii) high or preverbal tense
marking, (iii) a T merged with C, and (iv) defective definiteness marking. On
the other hand, I show that the null subject type of a language does not
correlate with EPP type. Finally, I also propose two different functional
purposes for the EPP. First, I propose that the EPP has an anchoring function,
linking the utterance to the world by raising an element marked with an index
to a position of prominence. I present the hypothesis that all operations
within the inflectional domain have an anchoring function. Second, I argue
that the dichotomy between predicate and argument EPP languages can be
explained if we understand the EPP as a high predication operation, which
raises either the predicate or the argument to a position which c-commands the
other. I then propose that all anchoring operations, including the EPP, have
dual functions, thus incorporating the two functions of the EPP.