30.4604, Calls: Spanish; Applied Linguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Dec 4 23:19:22 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4604. Wed Dec 04 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4604, Calls: Spanish; Applied Linguistics/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2019 18:18:54
From: Glenn Martinez [medicalspanishtaskforce at gmail.com]
Subject: Medical Spanish Task Force Summit

Full Title: Medical Spanish Task Force Summit
Short Title: 2MSTS

Date: 04-Apr-2020 - 05-Apr-2020
Location: Washington DC, USA
Contact Person: Glenn Martinez
Meeting Email: medicalspanishtaskforce at gmail.com
Web Site: http://medicalspanishtaskforce.weebly.com

Subject Language(s): Spanish (spa)

Call Deadline: 15-Dec-2019

Meeting Description:

The Second Medical Spanish Taskforce Summit seeks to bring together medical
and language educators to identify best practices and explore pedagogical
innovations.

2nd Call for Papers:

DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL December 15

Call for proposals for the 2nd Medical Spanish Taskforce Summit (2MSTS):
Advancing Medical Spanish: Achievements, Challenges and Opportunities

We are accepting proposals to be presented at the 2MSTS 2020 to be held:
April 4-5, 2020 at the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC)
Headquarters in Washington, DC.

Our main thematic lines this year are:

1. Medical Spanish program design and articulation.
Areas of interest include but are not limited to:

1.1. Medical Spanish curricular design and implementation in medical school
settings
1.2. Medical Spanish curricular design and implementation in pre-health
undergraduate settings
1.3. Medical Spanish curriculum and learner competency alignment
1.4. Maximizing class time: Medical Spanish activities to make an impact
1.5. Faculty development strategies for educators who wish to learn or enhance
medical Spanish teaching

2. Medical education research Sociocultural perspective in medical Spanish.
Areas of interest include but are not limited to:

2.1. Interprofessional team-teaching of Medical Spanish
2.2. Teaching cultural humility within a medical Spanish course
2.3. Culturally appropriate adaptations of medical cases to Hispanic/Latino
health.
2.4. Learning outcomes that address the sociocultural context of
Hispanic/Latino health.
2.5. Medical Spanish and sustainable development.
2.6. Integration of Spanish regionalisms and variations in medical Spanish
courses

3. Medical Spanish competency formative/summative assessment.
Areas of interest include but are not limited to:

3.1. Observed Structured Clinical Examination assessment.
3.2. Language proficiency assessment.
3.3. Cultural competency measurement.
3.4. Assessing pragmalinguistic competence.
3.5. Integrating Spanish clinical skills assessment in existing clinical
performance opportunities

We solicit submissions for micro-workshops (max. 30 minutes), round tables
(max. 10 minutes), short Medical Spanish lesson plan demonstrations
(10-minute) and micro-presentations (10-minute). Submissions might make
reference to any of the themes above from a medical, educational,
sociocultural or linguistics perspective. While we would especially appreciate
research related to our themes, submissions focusing on perception of future
opportunities where the MST might be able to contribute are also welcome.

The 2MSTS will begin with an introduction to our objectives followed by
workshops, round tables, presentations, and lesson plan demonstrations. After
that, all attendees will have the opportunity to converse with other MST
members and other attendees.

For submission info email: medicalspanishtaskforce at gmail.com