30.4628, Jobs: English; German; Italian; Polish; Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Translation: Annotator, Unbabel

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Dec 6 19:48:23 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4628. Fri Dec 06 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4628, Jobs: English; German; Italian; Polish; Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Translation: Annotator, Unbabel

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2019 14:48:01
From: Unbabel Inc [jonas.held at unbabel.com]

University or Organization: Unbabel
Department: R&D
Job Location: , ---------------- (Telecommute)
Web Address: https://unbabel.com/
Job Title: Linguistic Annotator
Job Rank: Annotator; Other

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Translation

Required Language(s): English (eng)
                      German (deu)
                      Italian (ita)
                      Polish (pol)

Polish<>German
Polish<>Italian
Polish<>English

We are looking for freelance linguists and/or translators who will provide
insights into the quality of the translations we produce, so that we can
continuously improve our technology and processes. These insights are
generated mostly through annotations, which involve spotting errors in machine
translations and post-edited data and classifying them according to a pre-set,
linguistically informed typology.

Successful candidates will be: Italian, German or English native speakers with
proficient command of Polish and hold a degree in linguistics, translation or
related fields. Previous experience in linguistic annotation is desirable.

As a freelance annotator, you will be working autonomously on translation
error annotation as well as other annotation and language consultancy tasks.
The volume of workload may vary according to business requirements and our
clients’ demands. You will be able to set your own pace and schedule and
typically will have a varying workload of around 4-5 hours per week. For this
particular project, we may request your availability to work for us 1-2 hours
per day during certain weeks and you will get a chance to apply your
linguistic knowledge to real-life situations and contribute to our translation
products.

This is a great opportunity to focus and see the impact of your knowledge in
translation and linguistics in Natural Language Processing and Machine
Translation.

Responsibilities:
- Performing error analysis on current system outputs.
- Creating guidelines for translation and/or annotation for specific
languages.
- Providing general linguistic consultancy on demand.

What we're looking for:
- [MUST] Native or near-native English, German, or Italian, with proficient
command of Polish.
- [MUST] MA or PhD in (General) Linguistics, Translation Studies or related
fields. If this is not the case, proven work-related experience.
- [MUST] Excellent knowledge of the structural aspects of language.
- [MUST] Ability to work methodically and consistently, according to pre-set
procedures and guidelines.
- [MUST] Ability to generalise from examples to novel cases.
- [MUST] Great analytical and communication skills.
- [MUST] Excellent grammar and punctuation skills.
- [MUST] Detail oriented.
- [DESIRED]: Experience in annotation tasks and working with various
annotation tools.
- [DESIRED]: Experience working in translation quality assurance and
monitoring.
- [DESIRED]: Experience working with terminology.

To apply, candidates should send résumé to the email provided below.

The Tower of Unbabel 🚀

Unbabel enables modern enterprises to serve customers in their native
languages, with always-on, scalable translation across digital channels.

Email Address for Applications: jonas.held at unbabel.com
Contact Information:
	Jonas Held
	Email: jonas.held at unbabel.com