30.4699, Support: Swedish; Old Norse; Latin; Historical Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: PhD, Humboldt-University of Berlin

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 12 19:13:50 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4699. Thu Dec 12 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4699, Support: Swedish; Old Norse; Latin; Historical Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: PhD, Humboldt-University of Berlin

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2019 14:13:34
From: Muriel Norde [muriel.norde at hu-berlin.de]
Subject: Swedish; Old Norse; Latin; Historical Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics: PhD, Humboldt-University of Berlin, Germany

 Institution/Organization: Humboldt-University of Berlin
Department: Department of Northern European Studies
Web Address: https://www.ni.hu-berlin.de/de/stellen

Level: PhD

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Historical Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Required Language(s): Latin (lat)
                      Norse, Old (non)
                      Swedish (swe)

The Department of Northern European Studies at Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin
is seeking to appoint a a PhD researcher starting as soon as possible. The
post is part time (65%), for a fixed-term period of four years.

The position is funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), as part
of the Collaborative Research Center ''Language-users‘ knowledge of of
situational-functional variation.'' The PhD researcher will be appointed in
the subproject ''Register emergence and register change in Germanic'' with
Prof. Dr. Karin Donhauser, Prof. Dr. Muriel Norde and Dr. Lars-Erik Zeige as
principal investigators.

The main aim of this project is to study the emergence of registers in two
early Germanic languages and to explore register change over time. The
relation between register and language change is an understudied topic in
historical linguistics, which so far has focused primarily on space and time
as dimensions of variation. Nevertheless, there is evidence that specific
authors vary in their use of lexical items, as well as in their use of
morphological and syntactic patterns, according to situational-functional
settings. There is furthermore evidence that medieval texts were
linguistically adapted to different audiences. In both cases, the attested
variation is, in part at least, register-specific. The focal languages of the
project, German and Swedish, are comparatively well documented for the
relevant time periods (ca. 750-1050 for German and ca. 1250-1450 for Swedish)
and belong to the same language family. What is more, the development of more
formal registers in both of these languages is strongly associated with
literacy, Christianization, and the emerging functional bilingualism of Latin
and the vernaculars.

For our study of emergent registers, we initially concentrate on individual
authors with a comparatively wide range of text production. We adopt this
approach in order to avoid problems related to the unbalanced representation
of different genres in the historical corpora of the Germanic languages. It
furthermore enables us to filter out other variables, such as time and place.
Adopting a bottom-up approach, we will identify lexical, morphological, and
syntactic features with relatively high frequency in specific textual
functions (e.g. narrative, revelatory, educational, scientific, or legal),
drawing data from (annotated) corpora as a basis for quantitative analysis.

For the project on register emergence in Old Swedish we invite applications
from candidates with a MA in Scandinavian Linguistics or in General
Linguistics with a focus on North Germanic. In-depth knowledge of Scandinavian
language history and at least one older Scandinavian language (preferably Old
Swedish) is required, as well as experience in corpus linguistics and
statistics. Basic reading knowledge of Latin is preferred, but may also be
acquired as soon as possible after appointment.

For further particulars and to apply for this post please contact Muriel Norde
at muriel.norde at hu-berlin.de.

Application Deadline: 27-Dec-2019

Web Address for Applications: https://www.ni.hu-berlin.de/de/stellen

Contact Information: