30.4822, Calls: Discourse Analysis/United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 24 14:33:03 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4822. Tue Dec 24 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4822, Calls: Discourse Analysis/United Kingdom

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2019 09:32:35
From: Ludivine Crible [ludivine.crible at uclouvain.be]
Subject: Discourse in Corpus and Experimental Data: Bridging the Methodological Gap

Full Title: Discourse in Corpus and Experimental Data: Bridging the Methodological Gap
Short Title: DisCorX

Date: 15-Oct-2020 - 16-Oct-2020
Location: Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Ludivine Crible
Meeting Email: ludivine.crible at uclouvain.be
Web Site: https://www.ed.ac.uk/ppls/linguistics-and-english-language/events/workshop-2020-10-15

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis

Call Deadline: 31-Mar-2020

Meeting Description:

This workshop intends to gather linguists, psycholinguists and psychologists
who investigate spoken and written discourse through a (direct or indirect)
combination of corpus-based and experimental methods. The focus is on
coherence relations and their signals. The aim of the workshop is to share
state-of-the-art research on discourse production and processing. In doing so,
methodological issues will be discussed, covering the affordances and
limitations of corpus-based and experimental approaches to discourse. We hope
that this workshop will be an opportunity to share best practices and to
further encourage multidisciplinarity and triangulation of results.

Call for Papers:

Discourse analysis, understood here as the study of discourse-level processes
such as coherence relations and their markers, is a rich multidisciplinary
field of linguistic research that has been explored through cognitive corpus
linguistics and psycholinguistic experiments (among others). Both methods have
contributed greatly to furthering our knowledge of the types of linguistic
elements that help signal coherence relations, their forms and functions, the
factors that influence the use of such signals and their effect on processing
and comprehension.

Multi-method approaches are highly fruitful: corpus studies help describe a
complex reality and provide hypotheses to be tested in more controlled
experiments, where well-defined variables can be manipulated and further
cognitive factors can be accessed. The combination of these two methods seems
to attract more attention (e.g. Mak et al., 2013; Zufferey & Gygax, 2015),
although it remains fairly limited in the field. This methodological gap is
mostly due to the different (and partly incompatible) techniques and
requirements that each paradigm involves.

Invited Speakers:

Sandrine Zufferey (Universität Bern)
Ted J.M. Sanders (Universiteit Utrecht)

We encourage submissions of abstracts for 20-minute presentations covering the
following topics:

- categories of coherence relations;
- categories of discourse signals;
- polyfunctionality, ambiguity, information density;
- “implicit” vs “explicit” relations;
- discourse production;
- processing and comprehension;
- perception and acceptability.

All papers must involve both corpus-based and experimental methods, at least
partly or indirectly. We also invite papers specifically targeting
methodological issues:

- what are the benefits and limitations of corpus-based approaches to
discourse?
- what are the benefits and limitations of experimental approaches to
discourse?
- how (far) can they be combined?

Abstracts can be up to 500-word long (excluding references). Please use
editable formats (.doc/.docx) and submit your abstract via Easychair by 30th
March 2020.

Easychair link: https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=discorx2020#