30.4849, Calls: Psycholinguistics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Dec 26 10:21:41 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4849. Thu Dec 26 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4849, Calls: Psycholinguistics/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Thu, 26 Dec 2019 05:20:49
From: Brian Dillon [brian at linguist.umass.edu]
Subject: CUNY Human Sentence Processing Conference

Full Title: CUNY Human Sentence Processing Conference
Short Title: CUNY

Date: 19-Mar-2020 - 21-Mar-2020
Location: Amherst, MA, USA
Contact Person: Brian Dillon
Meeting Email: cunyumass at gmail.com
Web Site: http://umass.edu/linguistics/cuny2020

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics

Call Deadline: 13-Dec-2019

Meeting Description:

We are very happy to announce that the 33rd Annual CUNY Conference on Human
Sentence Processing will take place at the University of Massachusetts,
Amherst, from March 19-21, 2020. The CUNY conference is the central North
American venue for work in sentence processing, including research into the
comprehension, production, and acquisition of language at the level of the
sentence. Our conference is highly interdisciplinary, with strong
contributions from researchers in Linguistics, Psychology, Neuroscience,
Cognitive Science, Computer Science, Education, and Philosophy alike.

The conference website may be found at:
https://www.umass.edu/linguistics/cuny2020. You may reach us at
cunyumass at gmail.com.

The 2020 conference features a special session entitled ''The role of
linguistic theory in psycholingusitics.'' This special session seeks to
highlight the important interdisciplinary relationship between linguists and
other cognitive scientists at the heart of the CUNY community. This
interdisciplinary bond has never been stronger, or more fruitful. A tight
integration of work in linguistic theory and psycholinguistics has led to an
explosion of interesting new findings in a range of areas, from prosody's role
in syntactic comprehension on up to the neural computation of elementary
semantic composition operations. The CUNY conference has helped contribute to
this happy state of affairs, and our special session seeks to highlight the
insight that our field has generated by exploring the back and forth between
work in linguistics and in psychology.

For further information on travel to UMass, and the area, please consult the
website. We look forward to welcoming you to the Pioneer Valley in 2020!

Final Call for Papers:

The deadline to submit abstracts for The 2020 CUNY Human Sentence Processing
Conference has been extended to Friday December 13th, 2019, by midnight in the
author’s timezone. The link to submit your abstracts is here:
https://www.softconf.com/j/cuny2020/ .

Please find more information about the conference below. You may also see the
conference website (https://www.umass.edu/linguistics/cuny2020; please note
that the abstract deadline listed on the website is incorrect), or contact the
organizing team at cunyumass at gmail.com .

We look forward to seeing you in Amherst!

The UMass CUNY organizing committee
Mara Breen, Brian Dillon, Lyn Frazier, John Kingston, Shota Momma, and Adrian
Staub

--

The 32nd Annual CUNY Conference on Human Sentence Processing will be hosted by
the University of Massachusetts, Amherst, from March 19-21, 2020. The

The special session of this year’s CUNY is ''The role of linguistic theory in
psycholinguistics.'' With our special session, we hope to highlight the
important interdisciplinary relationship between linguists and psychologists
that lies at the the heart of the CUNY conference and community. As a place
that encourages and celebrates dialogue, our conference has been a strong
contributor to maintaining and strengthening this interdisciplinary bond over
many decades now.

Investigations into the neural and cognitive processes that underpin language
have found numerous connections to theoretical work in linguistics, from
phonology on up to pragmatics. At the same time, linguistic theories have
taken insights from cognitive and developmental constraints to inform
grammatical theories. This tight linkage has led researchers to ask
interesting questions at this interface, including: How are basic linguistic
operations realized in neural computations? How do extra-linguistic cognitive
and developmental factors shape natural grammars? Do different grammatical
systems lead to systematically different processing strategies? For the
special session, we interpret linguistic theory as broadly as possible,
comprising work in theoretical prosody, syntax, morphology, semantics and
discourse/pragmatics. Work that is appropriate for the special session will
explore the link between formal theories at any of these levels of
representation and issues of real-time sentence processing.

Seven prominent invited speakers will represent research at the interface
between linguistic theory and sentence processing:

Elsi Kaiser, University of Southern California
Liina Pylkkänen, New York University
Hannah Rohde, University of Edinburgh
Florian Schwarz, University of Pennsylvania
Patrick Sturt, University of Edinburgh
Matt Wagers, University of California, Santa Cruz
Duane Watson, Vanderbilt University

As usual, we also invite abstracts related to language processing more
generally. Abstracts may be for poster or for 20-minute talk slots.
Instructions for submission and the submission portal are available on the
conference website (https://www.umass.edu/linguistics/cuny2020)

For more information, please contact cunyumass at gmail.com

We look forward to welcoming you to Amherst in 2020!