30.4918, Calls: Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Gen Ling, Ling Theories, Socioling/Poland

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 31 02:45:02 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4918. Mon Dec 30 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4918, Calls: Applied Ling, Cog Sci, Gen Ling, Ling Theories, Socioling/Poland

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2019 21:44:45
From: Alona Kononenko-Szoszkiewicz [plm at wa.amu.edu.pl]
Subject: 50th Poznań Linguistic Meeting

Full Title: 50th Poznań Linguistic Meeting
Short Title: PLM2020

Date: 17-Sep-2020 - 20-Sep-2020
Location: Poznan, Poland
Contact Person: Alona Kononenko-Szoszkiewicz
Meeting Email: plm at wa.amu.edu.pl
Web Site: http://wa.amu.edu.pl/plm/2020/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Clinical Linguistics; Cognitive Science; General Linguistics; Linguistic Theories; Neurolinguistics; Phonetics; Phonology; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics; Syntax

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Call Deadline: 22-Mar-2020

Meeting Description:

It is with great pride that we announce that we will be celebrating the 50th
edition of the Poznań Linguistic Meeting on 17–20 September 2020. The meeting
will be organised by the Faculty of English, Adam Mickiewicz University,
Poznań (Poland). This jubilee edition will focus on the impact of linguistic
research on our cognition and knowledge.

Call for Papers:

Plenary events confirmed so far:

The keynote address will be given by Ian Maddieson (University of New Mexico)

Plenary speakers confirmed so far:

– Martine Robbeets (Max Planck Institute for the Science of Human History)
– Joanna Pawelczyk (Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznan)
– Charles B. Chang (Boston University)

Grand Debate:

Over several recent editions, PLM has developed a tradition of the plenary
speakers debating on topics related to each year’s leitmotif. To make the
debate even more special for the jubilee edition, we have decided to extend an
invitation to participate in it to our past plenary speakers. We think we are
justified in hoping for an in-depth and stimulating discussion on the
importance of linguistics today.

Special session: 30 YEARS OF CONTRASTIVE LINGUISTICS CONFERENCES: A SESSION IN
MEMORY OF JACEK FISIAK (1936-2019)

A session in memory of Prof. Jacek Fisiak and the Contrastive Linguistics
Conferences will be organised by Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk and Camiel
Hamans. In 1970, the late Jacek Fisiak (1936–2019) organised the first
Polish–English contrastive linguistics conference. When Katarzyna
Dziubalska-Kołaczyk took over the organization of this series of conferences
in 1997, the name Poznań Linguistic Meeting (PLM) was adopted. So, the 2020
PLM will be the 50th Poznań conference, which is not only a good reason to put
a spotlight on the conference itself, but even more so to commemorate the one
who took the initiative for this series of meetings – Jacek Fisiak. This
cannot be done better than by focusing attention on the subject that was so
dear to him – contrastive linguistics. Our aim is to organize a full-day
session during the 50th PLM. There is an intention to publish the papers from
this session in a separate volume.

We aim both for contributions that look back on fifty years of research in
contrastive linguistics, and in particular the contributions that the
conferences organized by Jacek Fisiak and his successors have made, as well as
for papers that deal with topics that are current in contrastive linguistics
research.

Great returns:

Over the years, many eminent linguists graduating from Poznań have gone on to
pursue their research careers at different research centres around the world.
There will be a special session organised for them during PLM2020, too. We’ve
already received confirmations from Adam Jaworski, Joanna Kopaczyk, Anna
Cieślicka, Sylwia Scheuer, Piotr Jagodziński, and Magdalena Bator.

PhD Project Poster Session:

A special poster session will be organised for PhD candidates starting their
careers in linguistics or related disciplines. The goal of the session is to
provide a platform for all early-career researchers willing to present their
PhD projects to a larger scientific community, with a view to receiving
valuable feedback on their work at an early stage of development.

So far, two thematic sessions have been confirmed:

1. Inclusive linguistic research matters: Underrepresented populations,
unexplored contexts, and emerging types of data (convened by Bartosz Brzoza
and Anita Wagner)
2. Word order matters (convened by Jacek Witkoś)

Submission Guidelines:

Proposals of papers are invited for both Oral and Poster Sessions related to
the leitmotif and to other topics within modern linguistics. Each paper in the
general oral sessions will be given 30 minutes, including 10 minutes for
discussion. Poster sessions will form an integral part of the conference
programme. The number of submissions is limited to one single-authored plus
one co-authored abstract per author (or two co-authored ones). This limitation
does not apply to PhD candidate posters. The language of the conference is
English.

All abstracts will be processed using the EasyChair conference management
system (https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=plm2020). The submissions will
be reviewed by our International Advisory Board.

Please visit our website for more detailed abstract submission guidelines,
along with abstract review criteria.

Important Dates:

– submission deadline for the thematic session proposals: 31 January 2020
– notification of acceptance for thematic sessions: 15 February 2020
– submission deadline for ALL abstracts (oral and poster sessions): 22 March
2020
– notification of acceptance for papers and posters: mid-April 2020

Looking forward to seeing you in Poznan!

PLM2019 Organising Committee:

Katarzyna Dziubalska-Kołaczyk
Jarosław Weckwerth
Bartosz Brzoza
Alona Kononenko-Szoszkiewicz
Marcin Naranowicz
Ewelina Wojtkowiak

Contact Details:

PLM Organising Committee
Faculty of English, Adam Mickiewicz University, Poznań
Collegium Novum, al. Niepodleglosci 4, 61-874 Poznan, Poland
Tel: (+48 61) 829 3506, fax: (+48 61) 852 3103
Email: plm at wa.amu.edu.pl
Website: http://wa.amu.edu.pl/plm/2020/