30.4946, Calls: Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Ling & Lit, Ling Theories, Socioling/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 31 13:53:03 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4946. Tue Dec 31 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4946, Calls: Anthro Ling, Applied Ling, Ling & Lit, Ling Theories, Socioling/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 08:52:42
From: Lara Alonso [laraalonsopinero at gmail.com]
Subject: Survival Trouble: Anthropocene, Anticolonialism, and Ecologic Resistence

Full Title: Survival Trouble: Anthropocene, Anticolonialism, and Ecologic Resistence

Date: 02-Apr-2020 - 03-Apr-2020
Location: New York, USA
Contact Person: Lara Alonso
Meeting Email: congreso.lailac.gc.cuny at gmail.com
Web Site: https://lailac.commons.gc.cuny.edu/2019/11/26/03-02-call-for-papers-xxv-graduate-student-conference/

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Applied Linguistics; Ling & Literature; Linguistic Theories; Sociolinguistics

Call Deadline: 03-Feb-2020

Meeting Description:

In this 25th annual LAILAC graduate student conference, we aim to explore how
the irruption of environmental humanities enriches the possibilities for
sociolinguistic, anthropological, cultural, literary, media, and artistic
studies.

Keynote speakers: Heather Davis and Elizabeth Yeampierre

Call for Papers:

There exists no place on this planet where the trace of human existence is not
felt, whether it be indirectly or directly. Irreversible changes to our Earth
have generated inevitable human resistance, from the anticolonial initiatives
of indigenous groups to the youth marches taking place in the world’s largest
cities. We can classify this current geologic period—marked by the drastic
transformation of terrestrial happenings due to human behavior—with the term
anthropocene. The anthropocene is evidence of the devastating biophysical
consequences of the dominating socioeconomic system of the modern day. Ecology
is inevitably involved in this discussion, as it is central to the uprising
demands in justice, equality, and inclusion that are taking place across the
globe in the fight for survival. In our consideration of the anthropocene, we
ask ourselves: what changes in our modes of being and doing, and what
political actions are fundamental to combat social and ecologic injustices?
The geologic metaphor of the anthropocene spurs us to consider how hegemonic
impositions generate irrevocable erosion in the harmonic structures of life.
At the same time, this current ecologic crisis offers the possibility to
imagine and recognize other political, economic, and discursive orders in the
production, cohabitation, and power relations between all forms of life, human
and nonhuman.

In this 25th annual LAILAC graduate student conference, we aim to explore how
the irruption of environmental humanities enriches the possibilities for
cultural, literary, audiovisual, sociolinguistic, anthropological, media, and
artistic studies related (but not limited to) the following themes:

- Aesthetics and the poetics of the anthropocene
- Ecocriticism: cultural, literary, and visual studies related to the
environment
- Glotopolitics and discursive analysis of climate change
- Capitalism, survival, and precarity
- Indigenous resistance, social movements, and political action
- Borders, transnationalism, legislation, and environmental responsibility
- Diaspora, displacements, and migrations
- Coloniality and decoloniality: biopolitics, affect, and vulnerabilities
- Anti-racist ecology
- Crisis, disasters, and climate emergencies
- Ecofeminism and intersectionality
- Posthumanism
- Material violence: extraction, deforestation, and pollution
- Futures and temporalities: apocalyptic narratives and utopias

The doctoral students in the Latin American, Iberian and Latino Cultures
(LAILAC) department at the Graduate Center, CUNY in New York City invite you
to send abstracts (no more than 250 words) to
congreso.lailac.gc.cuny at gmail.com before 3 February 2020. Please include your
name, contact information, academic affiliation and if you require audiovisual
equipment in the body of your email. Presentations should be limited to 20
minutes and can be in English, Spanish, or Portuguese. Other Iberian or Latin
American languages are also welcome.

We accept proposals in Spanish, Portuguese, and English (other Iberian and
Latin American languages are welcome) in the following formats:
- Table or collective panel (60 minutes)
- Individual presentation (20 minutes)
- Workshop (40 minutes)
– Round table: individual presentation (5 minutes) and debate (35 minutes)