30.4950, Calls: Cog Sci, Philosophy of Language, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Dec 31 23:12:16 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4950. Tue Dec 31 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4950, Calls: Cog Sci, Philosophy of Language, Pragmatics, Psycholing, Semantics/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 31 Dec 2019 18:12:05
From: Florian Schwarz [florians at ling.upenn.edu]
Subject: Experiments in Linguistic Meaning

Full Title: Experiments in Linguistic Meaning
Short Title: ELM

Date: 10-Jun-2020 - 12-Jun-2020
Location: Philadelphia, USA
Contact Person: Florian Schwarz
Meeting Email: florians at ling.upenn.edu
Web Site: https://www.elm-conference.net/

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science; Language Acquisition; Neurolinguistics; Philosophy of Language; Pragmatics; Psycholinguistics; Semantics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 12-Jan-2020

Meeting Description:

We are excited to announce the first Experiments in Linguistic Meaning (ELM)
conference to be held at the University of Pennsylvania on June 10-12, 2020.
The conference is dedicated to the experimental study of linguistic meaning
broadly construed, with a focus on theoretical issues in semantics and
pragmatics, their interplay with other components of the grammar, their
relation to language processing and acquisition, as well as their connections
to human cognition and computation. We aim to include representation of
linguistic, psychological, logical, philosophical, social, developmental,
computational, as well as cross-linguistic and cross-cultural perspectives.

Invited Speakers:

David Barner, UC San Diego
Suzi Oliveira de Lima, University of Toronto
Jonathan Philips, Dartmouth College
Maribel Romero, University of Konstanz

The experimental study of meaning in language draws on a broad spectrum of
disciplines, topics, and methodologies, and ELM reflects this diversity in its
scope. We plan for ELM to occur biennially to foster the interdisciplinary
study of meaning, and to create a community of scholars that might not
otherwise meet and interact with each other with regularity. We encourage
researchers from around the world to submit their recent work to ELM1, and to
attend in order to discuss the latest theories and data in the cognitive
science of meaning broadly construed.

The University of Pennsylvania is home to a vibrant interdisciplinary
community that studies language and meaning across several departments. ELM
acknowledges support from Penn's Integrated Language Sciences and Technology
(ILST) Initiative; mindCORE, Penn's hub for the integrative study of the mind;
and Penn's Department of Linguistics.

Philadelphia is a UNESCO World Heritage City with great history, culture,
restaurants and museums. Most major points of interest are within walking
distance of the conference location.

Organizers:
Anna Papafragou and Florian Schwarz, Department of Linguistics, University of
Pennsylvania

2nd Call for Papers:

[Update: Deadline extended to January 12th by popular request!]

The conference will feature both 20-minute talks and poster presentations, and
abstracts will be considered for both unless only one category is specified at
time of submission. Abstracts must be anonymous and written in English. They
should use US Letter size paper and 1 inch margins on all four sides.
Abstracts must be single-spaced, and written using Ariel 11pt font. Abstracts
should be at most 2 pages, including the main text of the abstract, figures,
and any supplementary materials and references the authors wish to include.
Authors should avoid identifying information in the abstract, especially when
referring to their own prior work. The abstract must be submitted as a single
PDF file and must include a title at the top. Abstracts violating these
requirements may be rejected without further consideration.

Timeline:

November 15, 2019: ELM abstract submissions opens on Easy Chair
(https://easychair.org/my/conference?conf=elm1)
January 12, 2020: Abstract submission deadline (extended from January 5)
March 1, 2020: Notifications
April 15, 2020: Early registration opens

By coincidence, two conferences with the acronym ELM were conceived of at the
same time. If you’re looking for our friends at the other ELM, click here:
Expression, Language, Music (ELM 2020) - https://elm.clas.uconn.edu/