30.598, FYI: Online 2/14, Stark: Connected Speech in Aphasia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 6 22:08:54 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-598. Wed Feb 06 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.598, FYI: Online 2/14, Stark: Connected Speech in Aphasia

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2019 17:08:22
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]
Subject: Online 2/14, Stark: Connected Speech in Aphasia

Thursday, February 14 2019, 2pm ET
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

>From a single word to many words: analyzing connected speech in aphasia
Brielle C. Stark, PhD
Indiana University Bloomington

Much of what we know about the language system and its underlying neural
architecture is grounded in studies of single word retrieval. To successfully
retrieve a word, such as the name of an object, one must access at least three
levels of information: conceptual (what it is), lexical (its associated word)
and phonological (the sounds to select and organize). When we describe a
situation, however, we do not simply name objects. Instead, we select two or
three words per second from an active vocabulary spanning an estimated 40,000
words, and making this feat more complex, our word selection is vulnerable to
“competition” from multiple sources, such as previously accessed words or
words that have been selected for future production. There are reports of
patients with aphasia demonstrating superior word retrieval during single-word
retrieval tasks (e.g. confrontation naming) compared to connected speech and
vice versa, as well as reports suggesting that paraphasia (i.e. single word
error) distributions are different between connected speech and single-word
retrieval tasks. While few studies have directly contrasted connected speech
with single-word retrieval in aphasia, it is becoming evident that connected
speech requires dynamic changes in the linguistic system, resulting in
differing distributions of linguistic components compared to naming. The
complexity of connected speech makes it an intrinsically difficult entity to
quantify, but by nature of its high ecological validity and its relevance for
communication, it is no surprise that analysis of connected speech in aphasia
has seen such growth. A recent international survey of practicing
speech-language clinicians from English-speaking countries found that 86%
reported utilizing discourse analysis during assessments for persons with
aphasia, as a primary outcome of intervention and/or as a measure of
generalization of intervention. In this talk, I will draw upon brain and
behavior evidence to highlight the importance of evaluating connected speech,
as well as discuss issues and future directions in connected speech analysis
in aphasia that will improve the reliability, replicability and robustness of
this data.

Room #140, Discovery I, 915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Date: Thursday, February 14 2019, Time: 2pm – 3pm EDT
The viewing event will be catered!
The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173
First GoToMeeting? Try a test session:
https://support.logmeininc.com/gotomeeting/get-ready

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                     Discourse Analysis
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Psycholinguistics
                     Syntax