30.623, Summer Schools: Summer Field School/Guatamala

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Feb 7 20:01:46 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-623. Thu Feb 07 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.623, Summer Schools: Summer Field School/Guatamala

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 07 Feb 2019 15:01:39
From: Zach Wellstood [zcw209 at umd.edu]
Subject: Summer Field School/Guatamala

Summer Field School

Host Institution: University of Maryland
Coordinating Institution: University of Maryland
Website: https://languagescience.umd.edu/summer-field-school-programs

Dates: 22-Jun-2019 - 04-Aug-2019
Location: Patzún/Nahualá, Guatemala

Focus: Our annual Summer Field School brings students, researchers, and faculty from all over the world to Guatemala for intensive language classes combined with research or other community-based projects. The field school is offered in collaboration with our local partner Wuqu’ Kawoq, as well as other community organizations (Renacimiento, and a women's cooperative).
Minimum Education Level: Undergraduate

Our annual Summer Field School brings students, researchers, and faculty from
all over the world to Guatemala for intensive language classes combined with
research or other community-based projects. The field school is offered in
collaboration with our local partner Wuqu’ Kawoq, as well as other community
organizations (Renacimiento, and a women's cooperative).

This year, we will have two different summer program options:

1. Three-week Kaqchikel Language and Community Development Experience. Patzún,
June 22 - July 14
2. Four-week K'iche' Language School and Field Research Program. Nahualá, July
6 - August 4

The cost for the three-week program will be $2350 for the three-week program
and $2700 for the four-week program. Students may also apply to participate
only in the two-week K'iche' language school (July 6th - July 21st). However,
there are a limited number of places for the two-week-only option, and
priority will be given to local NGO workers and interns with Wuqu' Kawoq. We
hope to offer reduced program fees to certain groups of participants,
including NGO workers/volunteers, Guatemalan residents, and participants who
are entirely self-funded.

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                      General Linguistics
                      Language Acquisition

Subject Languages: K'iche', Cunén
                    K'iche', Eastern
                    K'iche', Joyabaj
                    K'iche', San Andrés
                    K'iche', West Central
                    Kaqchikel
                    Kaqchikel, Akatenango Southwestern
                    Kaqchikel, Eastern
                    Kaqchikel, Northern
                    Kaqchikel, Santa María de Jesús
                    Kaqchikel, Santo Domingo Xenacoj
                    Kaqchikel, South Central
                    Kaqchikel, Southern
                    Kaqchikel, Western
                    Kaqchikel, Yepocapa Southwestern

Tuition: 2350 USD

Tuition Explanation: The cost for the three-week program will be $2350 for the three-week program
and $2700 for the four-week program. Students may also apply to participate
only in the two-week K'iche' language school (July 6th - July 21st). However,
there are a limited number of places for the two-week-only option, and
priority will be given to local NGO workers and interns with Wuqu' Kawoq. We
hope to offer reduced program fees to certain groups of participants,
including NGO workers/volunteers, Guatemalan residents, and participants who
are entirely self-funded.

Registration: 06-Feb-2019 to 11-Mar-2019

Contact Person: Language Science Center
                Email: lsc at umd.edu

Apply on the web: https://languagescience.umd.edu/node/3111/

Registration Instructions: