30.654, Calls: Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Hist Ling, Text/Corpus Ling, Translation/Czech Republic

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 8 22:56:05 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-654. Fri Feb 08 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.654, Calls: Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Hist Ling, Text/Corpus Ling, Translation/Czech Republic

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 08 Feb 2019 17:55:02
From: Eva Nováková [eva.novakova at upol.cz]
Subject: 20th International Young Linguists' Meeting

Full Title: 20th International Young Linguists' Meeting

Date: 13-May-2019 - 15-May-2019
Location: Olomouc, Czech Republic
Contact Person: Božena Bednaříková
Meeting Email: mladi.lingviste at upol.cz
Web Site: http://mladilingviste.upol.cz

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Historical Linguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics; Translation

Call Deadline: 13-Apr-2019

Meeting Description:

You are cordially invited to the annual international meeting of young
linguists. The conference boasts 19 years' tradition which started in 2000 at
the Institute of the Czech Language of the Academy of Sciences, Prague, and
has been continued since 2001 at Palacký University in Olomouc.

Time and place:
May 13-15, 2019
Faculty of Arts, Palacký University in Olomouc

Organizers:
Department of Czech Studies, Faculty of Arts, Palacký University in Olomouc,
affiliated to the Linguistic Association of the Czech Republic, Prague

Call for Papers:

For 20 years the young linguists have discussed forms and functions of
languages and their similarities and differences both behind and beyond the
gates of Palacký University. We have witnessed the development of languages in
time and in minds of their speakers. The modern world, despite its
everchanging nature, still relies on natural languages, but--just to be
sure--we have taught speaking to computers, too. We have never stopped
equipping the languages with new concepts and varieties of meaning, both
consciously and subconsciously; on the other hand, we have been always aware
that these systems need the equilibrium. For this reason, the least frequent
linguistic elements are slowly abandoned, disappearing from everyday use and
written documents.

While human bodies travel through internet and a large global village, they
absorb more languages that open new horizons to their minds. Contrasting our
mother tongue with other languages from the perspective of a student, a
teacher, a translator or a linguist allows everyone to explore new contexts
and worlds and, consequently, to transform and understand our selves better.

1. Participants:
We welcome the researchers who completed their Mgr./M. A. or PhD programme and
have no higher degree than PhD.

2. Registration and abstract submission:
Complete the registration form available at http://mladilingviste.upol.cz/ and
enclose your abstract in a separate doc/pdf file. The abstract should not be
longer than 300 words (bibliography excluded), and its title should not
indicate your name to assure the anonymity in a blind peer-review process.
Please send both files as e-mail attachments to mladi.lingviste at upol.cz.

3. Fees and payments:
The conference fee is 1,200 CZK (it will be used to cover the costs associated
with the publication of conference proceedings)

4. Focus of the conference:
a) main topic: Languages-Speakers-Texts
b) pannel sessions: Diachronic workshop; Czech as the Second Language;
Translation Studies and Linguistics;Expressivity in Media; Cognitive
Linguistics

5. Conference languages
Czech; Slovak; English

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site: