30.672, Books: The English Language: A Very Short Introduction: Horobin

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Feb 11 22:09:52 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-672. Mon Feb 11 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.672, Books: The English Language: A Very Short Introduction: Horobin

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2019 17:09:36
From: Alyssa Russell [Alyssa.Russell at oup.com]

Title: The English Language: A Very Short Introduction
Series Title: Very Short Introductions

Publication Year: 2018
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-english-language-a-very-short-introduction-9780198709251

Author: Simon Horobin

Paperback: ISBN:  9780198709251 Pages: 152 Price: U.S. $ 11.95

Abstract:

The English language is spoken by more than a billion people throughout the
world. But where did English come from? And how has it evolved into the
language used today?

In this "Very Short Introduction" Simon Horobin investigates how we have
arrived at the English we know today, and celebrates the way new speakers and
new uses mean that it continues to adapt. Engaging with contemporary concerns
about correctness, Horobin considers whether such changes are improvements, or
evidence of slipping standards. What is the future for the English language?
Will Standard English continue to hold sway, or we are witnessing its
replacement by newly emerging Englishes?

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics
                     Text/Corpus Linguistics

Subject Language(s): English (eng)

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=132495

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: