30.851, Books: Visual Metaphor and Embodiment in Graphic Illness Narratives: El Refaie

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Feb 22 15:52:13 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-851. Fri Feb 22 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.851, Books: Visual Metaphor and Embodiment in Graphic Illness Narratives: El Refaie

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 10:51:58
From: Alyssa Russell [Alyssa.Russell at oup.com]

Title: Visual Metaphor and Embodiment in Graphic Illness Narratives
Publication Year: 2019
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/visual-metaphor-and-embodiment-in-graphic-illness-narratives-9780190678173/?WT.mc_id=gl-ling-11-2018-01

Author: Elisabeth El Refaie

Hardback: ISBN:  9780190678173 Pages: 240 Price: U.S. $ 74

Abstract:

Metaphors help us understand abstract concepts, emotions, and social relations
through the concrete experience of our own bodies. Conceptual Metaphor Theory
(CMT), which dominates the field of contemporary metaphor studies, is centered
on this claim. According to this theory, correlations in the way the world is
perceived in early childhood (e.g., happy/good is up, understanding is seeing)
persist in our conceptual system, influencing our thoughts throughout life at
a mostly unconscious level.

What happens, though, when ordinary embodied experience is disrupted by
illness? In this book, Elisabeth El Refaie explores how metaphors change
according to our body's alteration due to disease. She analyzes visual
metaphor in thirty-five graphic illness narratives (book-length stories about
disease in the comics medium), re-examining embodiment in traditional CMT and
proposing the notion of "dynamic embodiment." Building on recent strands of
research within CMT and engaging relevant concepts from phenomenology,
psychology, semiotics, and media studies, El Refaie demonstrates how the
experience of our own bodies is constantly adjusting to changes in our
individual states of health, socio-cultural practices, and the modes and media
by which we communicate. This fundamentally interdisciplinary work also
proposes a novel classification system of visual metaphor, based on a
three-way distinction between pictorial, spatial, and stylistic metaphors.
This approach will enable readers to advance knowledge and understanding of
phenomena involved in shaping our everyday thoughts, interactions, and
behavior.

Linguistic Field(s): Psycholinguistics
                     Sociolinguistics

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=134173

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: