30.931, Calls: Computational Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, Text/Corpus Linguistics / Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence (Jrnl)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Feb 27 16:56:55 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-931. Wed Feb 27 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.931, Calls:  Computational Linguistics, Sociolinguistics, Text/Corpus Linguistics / Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence (Jrnl)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Sarah Robinson <srobinson at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2019 11:56:50
From: Jack Grieve [j.grieve at bham.ac.uk]

Full Title: Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics; Sociolinguistics; Text/Corpus Linguistics

Call Deadline: 31-Dec-2019

Call for Papers: Special Volume on Computational Sociolinguistics

Important Dates:
Abstract deadline (optional): April 1st, 2019
Full paper deadline: December 31st, 2019

Website:
https://www.frontiersin.org/research-topics/9580/computational-sociolinguistic

Editors:
Jack Grieve (University of Birmingham), Dirk Hovy (Bocconi University), David
Jurgens
(University of Michigan), Tyler Kendall (University of Oregon), Dong Nguyen
(Alan Turing
Institute), James Stanford (Dartmouth College), Meghan Sumner (Stanford
University), and
Rachael Tatman (Kaggle)

We are currently accepting abstracts and papers for a special volume on
''Computational Sociolinguistics'' to be published by the open access journal
Frontiers (Language and Computation sub-section). We welcome submissions from
anyone working at the intersection of Sociolinguistics and Computational
Linguistics. For more details on the volume and Frontiers, please see the full
call at the website linked above.

Our goals for this volume are to consolidate research in Computational
Sociolinguistics and promote the field across disciplinary boundaries. We have
chosen to work with the open access publisher Frontiers because we believe
this is the best way to increase attention for research in this area. We have
already received expressions of interest from a number of leading researchers
in linguistics and computer science and we are very excited about the
opportunity to showcase exciting research in this emerging field.

Initial abstracts are due April 1st. If you submit an abstract by this date,
we will let you know immediately if your paper is suitable for the volume. We
will, however, continue to accept full papers up until December 31st 2019. We
are dedicated to an efficient, transparent and supportive peer-review process.
Papers will be published online as soon as they are accepted, and there is no
limit on the number of papers we can accept. An ebook will also be made
available online once all papers have been published.

Please note that Frontiers is a gold open access publisher. This means that
all papers published in this volume will be freely available online, which
greatly increases readership and impact. There are publication fees attached
to publishing with Frontiers, but Frontiers has a generous waiver program for
researchers who do not have access to funding. You can request a waiver when
you submit your abstract or paper.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact one of the
co-editors. We will be happy to help.

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: