30.4, FYI: Call for Chapter Proposals for Engaged T&I Book

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Tue Jan 1 21:33:41 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-4. Tue Jan 01 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.4, FYI: Call for Chapter Proposals for Engaged T&I Book

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Tue, 01 Jan 2019 16:32:39
From: Serena Williams [srawilliams at ucdavis.edu]
Subject: Call for Chapter Proposals for Engaged T&I Book

Conflicts and discriminatory policies result in refugee situations, and the
past in which nation states contained national languages has been replaced by
a linguistically complex, post-modern, transnational world.

This volume will provide the critical scholarship needed to understand the
causes and effects of translation and interpretation needs in addition to
novel solutions being undertaken. T&I access varies among regions of the
world, and languages rights and certification standards are still young in
many places, and often only exist for more commonly-taught languages. The
profession is reacting to grass-roots efforts to mobilize volunteers and other
nonprofessionals to meet the growing need for T&I because “[p]ower is evident
at every junction of translation” (Baumgarten & Cornella-Detrell, 2019, p. 1).

Engaged scholarship is a way to involve participants in effecting change in
discriminatory policies, and forms the organizing thread for this volume.
To that end, this volume will particularly highlight contributions from
authors that partner with community organizations to provide T&I services. The
chapters also contribute to interdisciplinary understandings of how language
policies both perpetuate lack of access to information that directly affects
quality of life, as well as motivate creative ways to overcome these
linguistic obstacles.

Please submit a working title and abstract of 300-550 words along with name(s)
of author(s), affiliation(s), email address(es).

Please contact the editor for questions: Serena AP Williams
srawilliams at ucdavis.edu

January 8, 2019 : Proposals due to editor (srawilliams at ucdavis.edu)
January 15, 2019: Proposal acceptance notifications sent

                     Translation

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: