30.132, FYI: Online Lecture 1/17: Brenda Rapp, Modularity

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jan 9 20:41:08 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-132. Wed Jan 09 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.132, FYI: Online Lecture 1/17: Brenda Rapp, Modularity

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2019 15:40:38
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]
Subject: Online Lecture 1/17: Brenda Rapp, Modularity

Thursday, January 17 2019, 2pm ET
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

Investigating the role of functional modularity in language recovery
Brenda Rapp, PhD.
Johns Hopkins University

There is increasing interest in understanding how brain lesions affect the
coordination of neural activity between brain regions as well as in
understanding the role that changes in this functional connectivity may play
in recovery. fMRI, by measuring the activation time-courses of brain regions,
provides a basis for quantifying functional connectivity. Furthermore, graph
theoretic approaches provide an analytic tool for characterizing the
properties of the brain’s vast functional connectivity. Graph theoretic
analyses of functional connectivity have revealed that the brain is organized
into a non-random, modular structure consisting of densely inter-connected
clusters of brain regions. Characteristics of this functional modularity
structure have been linked to cognitive performance in healthy populations and
various neurological disorders. Therefore, understanding how lesions affect
modularity structure may provide critical insights into mechanisms of neural
plasticity. Computer simulations predict that lesions can have widespread
effects on the brain’s functional connectivity structure, however, relatively
little work has examined the consequences of actual lesions on functional
modularity.  I will review current research on the use of modularity and
related graph-theoretic measures in understanding aphasia and language
recovery, providing an example from our own research. Our findings illustrate
how analysis of the modularity characteristics of brain networks can increase
our understanding of post-stroke neural changes and the network reorganization
that supports recovery of function.

The lecture will be held at Johns Hopkins University. However, it will be
broadcast live to USC:

Room #140, Discovery I, 915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Date: Thursday, January 17 2019, Time: 2pm – 3pm EDT
The viewing event will be catered!
The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173
First GoToMeeting? Try a test session:
https://support.logmeininc.com/gotomeeting/get-ready

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                     Cognitive Science
                     Neurolinguistics

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site:

               The LINGUIST List FundDrive Page: