30.288, Confs: Applied Linguistics, General Linguistics, Linguistic Theories/Cyprus

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 18 04:49:10 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-288. Thu Jan 17 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.288, Confs: Applied Linguistics, General Linguistics, Linguistic Theories/Cyprus

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2019 23:48:10
From: Demetris Karayiannis [culc at ucy.ac.cy]
Subject: 2nd International Cyprus Undergraduate Linguistics Conference

2nd International Cyprus Undergraduate Linguistics Conference
Short Title: I-CULC

Date: 16-Feb-2019 - 17-Feb-2019
Location: Nicosia, Cyprus
Contact: Demetris Karayiannis
Contact Email: culc at ucy.ac.cy
Meeting URL: https://culc.ucy.ac.cy/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Linguistic Theories

Meeting Description:

The Cyprus Undergraduate Linguistics Conference promotes undergraduate
research and facilitates communication and discussion between researchers at
all levels of undergraduate research throughout the linguistic community. The
2nd International Cyprus Undergraduate Linguistics Conference (I-CULC 2019)
will take place at the University of Cyprus on Saturday, February 16 to Sunday
February 17, 2019 (Saturday may not include presentations, but we will have a
welcome session, registration, and an evening social event.)

This year’s theme is ‘Theoretical and Experimental Approaches to Language’.

The 2nd International Cyprus Undergraduate Linguistics Conference (I-CULC)
will follow the Trans-Disciplinary Approaches to Language Variation workshop (
https://linguistlist.org/issues/29/29-4605.html ), which will take place from
Friday, February 15 to Saturday, February 16, 2019.

Conference website: https://culc.ucy.ac.cy/
Conference Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/iculc2019

Keynote Speakers:

- Alison Henry (Ulster University)
- Phoevos Panagiotidis (University of Cyprus)

Program:

We are happy to announce the schedule of contributed student talks for I-CULC
2019. We are really proud to be joined by fellow linguistics students from
seven different universities and six different countries. The presentation
abstracts will be uploaded in the coming days.

The conference is free and open to all, and it will take place at the
Kallipoleos Campus of the University of Cyprus, Room E116.

We gratefully acknowledge support by the Department of English Studies and the
Cyprus Linguistics Society.

https://culc.ucy.ac.cy/a/the-schedule-of-student-presentations.html

Saturday, 16/02/2019

18:00:
Registration

18:30:
Opening Session

18:40:
Professor Alison Henry (Ulster University)
>From local language varieties to Universal Grammar

20:00:
Social Event (TALV & I-CULC Dinner) - TBC

Sunday, 17/02/2019

09:00:
Registration

09:30:
Professor Phoevos Panagiotidis (University of Cyprus)
Radical about roots: between grammar and learning

10:30: Big Coffee Break

11:00:
Forensic Linguistics Session – 1:
- MACRYNIKOLA Thesalia (University of Central Lancashire)
Forensic Linguistics in Cybercrime Investigation
- SKROBOL Julia (Queen Mary University of London)
Adverbial modification with “knowingly” and “intentionally” in criminal legal
cases

11:50: Small Coffee Break

12:00:
Applied Linguistics Session – 2:
- ARAJIAN Marita (University of Cyprus)
The Contribution of Linguistics in TESOL
- POROSHINA Varvara (Dubna State University)
Compensations of Indian English pronunciation peculiarities
- PASTIDOU Alexandra (University of Cyprus)
How well do you know your Greek? The interpretation of morphologically
transparent and arbitrary words in bilectal speakers in the school curriculum

13:15: Lunch Break

14:45:
Sociolinguistics Session – 3:
- AREST Dominik (Adam Mickiewicz University)
Problems and tasks of sociolinguistic research in the postcolonial world on
the example of Cyprus
- NARUSHIN Ilya (Hebrew University of Jerusalem)
A Comparative Analysis of Complexity of Jamul Tiipay Language
- ZERVOUDAKI Irene (University of Cyprus)
Theoretical Approaches to Language

16:00 Small Coffee Break

16:10:
Theoretical Linguistics Session – 4:
- CHARALAMBOUS Maria & EFSTATHIOU Georgia (University of Cyprus)
The function of the Cypriot Greek markers imishi and taha
- ILIADIS Thanos (National and Kapodistrian University of Athens)
Adjectival Concord in Modern Greek

17:00: Big Coffee Break & Certificates

17:25:
Award Ceremony – Closing