30.413, Jobs: French; Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Amazon

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jan 24 19:05:03 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-413. Thu Jan 24 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.413, Jobs: French; Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Amazon

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Editor for this issue: Becca Morris <becca at linguistlist.org>

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 14:04:45
From: Kasia Krotki [kasiakr at amazon.com]
Subject: French; Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist, Amazon, Berlin, Germany

University or Organization: Amazon
Department: Alexa
Job Location: Berlin, Germany
Job Title: French Computational Linguist
Job Rank: Computational Linguist; Other

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Computational Linguistics; NLP; NLU

Required Language(s): French (fra)
                      Romance

Are you a linguist with technical aptitude? Or are you an engineer with a
passion for (human) languages and linguistics? Come work on Alexa! We are
building the speech and language solutions behind Amazon Echo and other Amazon
products and services. Our goal is to delight our customers by adding new
features to Alexa and by improving the accuracy of our existing speech
recognition and natural language processing systems.

We are seeking a Computational Linguist - French with experience in linguistic
annotation, ontologies, taxonomies and/or semantic schemas. In this role, you
will be a key member in new feature development and identify and solve issues
directly affecting the customer experience by becoming an expert in annotation
schemas and natural language understanding.

You will:
- Design the natural language processing components of new Alexa experiences
and features by reviewing and debugging grammars and FSTs
- Identify and solve production issues that are impacting the Alexa customer
experience
- Collaborate with other Language Engineers, Scientists and Data Associates in
creating optimal solutions to elevate the customer experience
- Advocate strict adherence to annotation guidelines
- Use modeling tools to bootstrap and test new functionalities

Basic Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s or higher degree in a relevant field, including Linguistics,
Computational Linguistics and Language Psychology
- 4+ years experience in computational linguistics, language data processing,
semantics or syntax
- Native or near-native fluency in French
- Experience with language annotation and other forms of data markup
- Experience with ontologies and other semantic meaning representation schemas
- Experience in Perl, Python or another scripting language
- Excellent communication, strong organizational skills and very
detail-oriented
- Comfortable working in a fast paced, highly collaborative and dynamic work
environment
- Willingness to support several projects at one time and to accept
reprioritization as necessary

Preferred Qualifications:
- Experience in computational linguistics, language data processing, semantics
or syntax
- Expertise in building ontologies, taxonomies, and semantic relation
frameworks
- Experience in writing grammars and building FSTs
- Experience with statistical language modeling
- Practical knowledge of version control and agile development

To apply, please visit the application link provided below.

Amazon is an equal opportunity employer. We believe passionately that
employing a diverse workforce is central to our success. We make recruiting
decisions based on your experience and skills. We value your passion to
discover, invent, simplify and build.

Email Address for Applications: kasiakr at amazon.com
Web Address for Applications: https://www.amazon.jobs/en/jobs/746638/computational-linguist-french
Contact Information: