30.415, FYI: Online 1/31 Rogalsky: Selective Attention, Aphasia

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Jan 25 04:45:35 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-415. Thu Jan 24 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.415, FYI: Online 1/31 Rogalsky: Selective Attention, Aphasia

Moderator: linguist at linguistlist.org (Malgorzata E. Cavar)
Reviews: reviews at linguistlist.org (Helen Aristar-Dry, Robert Coté)
Homepage: https://linguistlist.org

Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2019 23:44:50
From: Dirk Den Ouden [denouden at sc.edu]

Thursday, January 31 2019, 2pm ET
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
http://cstar.sc.edu/lecture-series/

The role(s) of selective attention in speech comprehension & aphasia
rehabilitation
Corianne Rogalsky, PhD.
College of Health Solutions, Arizona State University

There is ample evidence that executive functions are recruited to support
speech comprehension in challenging listening situations, and also are
recruited to support communication in some individuals with aphasia. Much of
the previous work examining how executive functions are involved in speech
comprehension has focused on working memory. However, selective attention has
been shown to be a critical underlying mechanism for executive functions,
including working memory, yet is largely understudied regarding its potential
role in speech comprehension and aphasia rehabilitation. A better
understanding of the roles of selective attention in speech comprehension may
provide new avenues of aphasia prognostics and rehabilitation. I will present
a series of our recent neuroimaging and behavioral findings in individuals
with chronic aphasia and neurotypical adults that indicate that different
selective attention resources are recruited for different types of speech
comprehension, and that selective attention and working memory abilities each
predict different types of speech comprehension abilities. These findings have
contributed to our development of a functional neuroanatomical model of the
executive function brain networks that contribute to speech comprehension in
everyday, complex situations. Ongoing initial experiments attempting to use
individualized executive function and neurobiological profiles to optimize
communication with individuals with aphasia also will be discussed.

Room #140, Discovery I, 915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Date: Thursday, January 31st 2019, Time: 2pm – 3pm EDT
The viewing event will be catered!
The lecture can also be followed online from your computer, tablet or
smartphone, via the following GoToMeeting address (no password required):
https://global.gotomeeting.com/join/667426173
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States : +1 (872) 240-3412
Access Code: 667-426-173
First GoToMeeting? Try a test session:
https://support.logmeininc.com/gotomeeting/get-ready

More information:

Dirk-Bart den Ouden, Ph.D., Associate Prof.

Graduate Director
Dept. of Communication Sciences and Disorders
University of South Carolina
Discovery I Building, Office 202 C
915 Greene Street, Columbia, SC 29208
Tel. 803-777-9241 (office)
Email: denouden at sc.edu
http://www.mccauslandcenter.sc.edu/den_ouden/

Linguistic Field(s): Clinical Linguistics
                     Cognitive Science
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Psycholinguistics

              The IU Foundation Crowd Funding site: