30.2686, Calls: Middle English; Old English; Historical Linguistics/United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Mon Jul 8 22:57:39 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2686. Mon Jul 08 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2686, Calls: Middle English; Old English; Historical Linguistics/United Kingdom

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Mon, 08 Jul 2019 18:57:05
From: Mark Faulkner [faulknem at tcd.ie]
Subject: From Old English to Middle English

Full Title: From Old English to Middle English

Date: 06-Jul-2020 - 09-Jul-2020
Location: Leeds, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Mark Faulkner
Meeting Email: faulknem at tcd.ie

Linguistic Field(s): Historical Linguistics

Subject Language(s): English, Middle (enm)
                     English, Old (ang)

Call Deadline: 06-Sep-2019

Meeting Description:

(Session of the International Medieval Congress)

This session aims to take stock of what we know about the transition between
Old and Middle English, and to identify new lines of inquiry.

Call for Papers:

The transition from Old to Middle English in the course of the long twelfth
century (c. 1050-1225) has been described as ‘the most dramatic change in the
English language’, yet also as ‘the textual “black hole”’ in its history.
Historians of both English literature and the English language often treat it
as inscrutable on the grounds that few texts are known to have been written in
this period. Grammars, dictionaries and scholarly articles show considerable
uncertainty about whether the texts that were written in this period should be
characterised as ‘Old English’ or ‘Middle English’, and indeed to what extent
these classifications matter. The sometimes difficult language of these texts,
with their blend of traditional Old English orthographies, hypercorrect
spellings that strive but fail to reproduce Old English norms, and forms
likely to reflect contemporary pronunciation has more than once led scholars
astray about their meaning. In short, the transition remains little
understood.

Recent work has considerably enhanced our knowledge of the recopying of Old
English in the twelfth century, increased the store of English texts known to
have been written in this period, and developed our understanding of their
literary and cultural significance. This has opened the way for new studies
focusing on the linguistic challenges and complexities of the transitional
period. This session or sessions aim to take stock of what we know about
language on the border between Old and Middle English, and to identify new
lines of inquiry.

Possible topics include but are not limited to:

- The dating of previously undated texts to the long twelfth century
- Linguistic analyses of texts composed in English in the long twelfth century
- Linguistic perspectives on the twelfth- and thirteenth-century afterlives of
texts composed before the Norman Conquest
- Qualitative or quantitative studies of the major linguistic changes that
divide Old English and Middle English
- Linguistic periodisations of Old English and Middle English, or challenges
to conventional periodisations
- Studies of particular linguistic features in the English of the long twelfth
century
- The effects of language contact in the transition from Old to Middle
English.

Please send an abstract of approximately 300 words to Mark Faulkner
(Mark.Faulkner at tcd.ie) and Rachel Fletcher (r.fletcher.1 at research.gla.ac.uk)
by 6 September 2019.