30.2752, FYI: Dictionary and Samples of the Sicilian Language

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Jul 13 05:43:00 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2752. Sat Jul 13 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2752, FYI: Dictionary and Samples of the Sicilian Language

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Sat, 13 Jul 2019 01:40:38
From: Eryk Wdowiak [economics at doviak.net]

When I started learning Sicilian, the language needed a good online
dictionary, so my friends helped me create one:  https://www.napizia.com/

It's based on Arthur Dieli's vocabulary list:
http://www.dieli.net/SicilyPage/SicilianLanguage/Vocabulary.html

I'm filling it with grammar, poetry, proverbs and examples.  I hope it
represents the language well and I hope you enjoy it.  So far, I have added
926 proverbs.  My next task is to add poetry.  So far, only 43 examples of
poetry, but that number will grow.

I'm also looking for assistance.  I would especially appreciate samples of the
dialects spoken in Calabria and Puglia.  Most of my language resources come
from Sicily, but I want to record the whole language.  If you can contribute
something, please contact me or visit the "Aiùtami!" page:
https://www.napizia.com/cgi-bin/aiutami.pl

Grazzi pi l'aiutu!
- Eryk

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation
                     Lexicography

Subject Language(s): Sicilian (scn)

Language Family(ies): Romance