30.2776, FYI: Sicilian Language Resource List

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 17 00:38:09 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2776. Tue Jul 16 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2776, FYI: Sicilian Language Resource List

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2019 20:37:28
From: Eryk Wdowiak [economics at doviak.net]
Subject: Sicilian Language Resource List

Dear Linguist List,

Thank you for the warm response to my recent message about development of a
Sicilian dictionary.  And please excuse me for not citing my sources.  Below
is a list of Sicilian language resources that I should have included in my
message.

- Eryk

Sicilian Language Resource List:

For over 40 years, Arba Sicula has produced and disseminated Sicilian language
resources in the United States and abroad.  The organization publishes
Sicilian literature from every dialect of the language, but (for historical
reasons) the dialects from Sicily are better documented than the dialects from
Calabria and Puglia.

The resulting paradox is that the linguistic resources for the Sicilian
dialects of the Sicilian language are underrepresented on the list below,
while the linguistic resources for the Calabrese and Pugliese dialects are
overrepresented.  (The raw counts can fool you).

Sicilian Language Resources from Arba Sicula -- http://www.arbasicula.org
- Gaetano Cipolla (2013).  "Mparamu lu sicilianu"
- Arthur Dieli.  "Sicilian vocabulary list"
-- http://www.dieli.net/SicilyPage/SicilianLanguage/Vocabulary.html
- J.K. Bonner (2001).  "An Introduction to Sicilian Grammar."
- _Arba Sicula_ (1979-2019).

Dictionaries Featuring All Dialects of the Sicilian Language
- Sicilian Wiktionary -- https://scn.wiktionary.org
- Napizia -- https://www.napizia.com

Dictionaries of the Sicilian Dialects of Sicilian
- Joseph Bellestri (1985 and 1988).  _Sicilian-English Dictionary_ and
_English-Sicilian Dictionary_.
- Vincenzo Mortillaro (1876). _Nuovo Dizionario Siciliano-Italiano_.
-- https://books.google.com/books?id=B0UkAQAAMAAJ
- Vincenzo Nicotra (1883).  _Dizionario Siciliano-Italiano_.
-- https://books.google.com/books?id=NXUIAQAAIAAJ
- Giuseppe Pitrè (1875). _Grammatica Siciliana_.
- Piccitto, Tropea and Trovato (1977-2002).  _Vocabolario Siciliano_.
- Alberto Varvaro (2014). _Vocabolario Storico-Etimologico del Siciliano_.

Dictionaries of the Calabrese Dialects of Sicilian
- Luigi Accattatis (1895). _Vocabolario del dialetto calabrese
(casalino-apriglianese)_
-- https://books.google.com/books?id=LeQ-AAAAYAAJ
- Orlando Accetta. _Dialettu Napitinu_
       --
http://www.pizzocalabro.it/Orlando/Dizionario%20Napitino/bozza_di_studio_per_u
n_dizionario%20napitino.htm

Dictionaries of the Pugliese Dialects (a.k.a. Salentino)
- Giuseppe Presicce. "Dialetto Salentino e dintorni"
-- http://www.dialettosalentino.it
- "Dialettario salentino"
-- http://www.lecceweb.it/community/dialettario.php

Acknowledgements:

Thank you to Arba Sicula, Gaetano Cipolla (its editor) and Arthur Dieli for
making this list possible and for providing a tremendous amount of
intellectual support and encouragement for my work.

I would also like to thank the Bardari and Sciarrone families of Pizzo Calabro
for their sponsorship and encouragement.  Thanks to their help, we're going to
record every dialect of the language.

Finally, I would like to thank Google Books for putting a large collection of
dictionaries at our fingertips and I would like to thank Gyan Books
(http://www.gyanbooks.com) for beautifully reproducing some of them for me.

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation
                     Lexicography

Subject Language(s): Sicilian (scn)

Language Family(ies): Italo-Dalmatian