30.2792, Calls: Anthropological Linguistics, Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics/United Kingdom

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jul 17 06:27:23 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2792. Wed Jul 17 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2792, Calls: Anthropological Linguistics, Discourse Analysis, Sociolinguistics/United Kingdom

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 17 Jul 2019 02:26:15
From: Nancy Hawker [nancy.hawker at aku.edu]
Subject: Arabic and the Geo-politics of Gender

Full Title: Arabic and the Geo-politics of Gender

Date: 29-Jun-2020 - 02-Jul-2020
Location: London, United Kingdom
Contact Person: Nancy Hawker
Meeting Email: nancy.hawker at aku.edu

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics; Discourse Analysis; Sociolinguistics

Subject Language(s): Arabic, Standard (arb)

Call Deadline: 01-Sep-2019

Meeting Description:

IGALA (International Gender and Language Association) is holding its 2020
Conference in London, Queen Mary University of London. Having spoken to the
organisers, it is clear that they are keen to include an Arabic and Gender
panel. This is an opportunity for Arabic to have a recognised standing in
mainstream (socio)linguistics and gender studies. Because I think that the
inclusion of Arabic is important, I am sending out this call for papers for a
proposed panel “Arabic and the Geo-politics of Gender”. (Title may be improved
and focused depending on the topics of abstracts submitted.)

Dr Claire Savina and I have assembled a scientific committee to assess
abstract submissions and select up to 8 abstracts on the subject of the
conference (see below). We undertake to submit the panel proposal to IGALA by
the deadline. (However, please note that the offer to co-organise the panel is
not linked to the Aga Khan University’s Institute for the Study of Muslim
Civilisations at this point, nor to St Antony’s College, Oxford
https://www.sant.ox.ac.uk/people/claire-savina.)

Call for Papers:

Please send your abstract as an attachment to an email with IGALA in the
subject line to nancy.hawker at aku.edu by 1 September 2019.

The abstracts should be no more than 500 words and confined to 1 page of text.
References, glossed/transcribed examples, and images can appear on a second
page and do not count toward the word limit.

The abstracts should be on original, unpublished research on language, gender
and/or sexuality in relation to Arabic. The conference theme aims to highlight
the geopolitical dimensions of language, gender and sexuality scholarship. Our
goal is to showcase research on configurations of language, gender and
sexuality from a diverse range of cultural, linguistic and geographical
contexts, and in particular work that engages with issues of coloniality,
globalisation, migration, (trans)nationalism and/or modernity. We also aim to
encourage discussions of methodological and epistemological diversity, and of
the broader dynamics of knowledge creation and dissemination in our field.

This is IGALA’s website: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/igala11/

Feel free to forward this invitation to others interested in Arabic and
gender. And if you have any questions, please email Claire
(clairesavina at gmail.com) and myself (nancy.hawker at aku.edu).