30.2839, Disc: Call for Participation: Language Archive Research

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Sat Jul 20 01:33:34 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2839. Fri Jul 19 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2839, Disc: Call for Participation: Language Archive Research

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2019 21:33:01
From: Mary Burke [mary.burke at unt.edu]

Hello,

We are reaching out to invite you to participate in our study of language
archives. The UNT Information Science Department, Linguistics Department, and
Libraries are working on the project funded by the United States Institute for
Museum and Library Services (LG‐87‐18‐0197‐18) to identify how the information
is organized in existing language archives and what the information
organization needs of actual and potential language archive users are. This
planning project seeks to provide necessary background information and
preparation for a forthcoming collaborative research project that will aim to
extend the usefulness of existing language archive collections through a
user-centered design of systems incorporating the efficient methods and
techniques for providing digital access to language data collections at scale.

We are seeking participants who have experience using language archives, or
have experience managing a language archive (currently or previously).

Participation in this research includes an interview about your background and
thoughts related to organization of information in language archives and (for
the users of language archives) an observation task. The interview will last
approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. The observation task will take
approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour. Both the interview and observation task
will be conducted using an online tool (Zoom).

We hope you would be interested in sharing your experiences and opinions with
our team and helping contribute to development of language archives by
participating in this research. The IRB-approved informed consent letters with
details about the study are available at
(https://infoorgusarchives.blogspot.com/) for your information. Please feel
free to contact us with any questions.  We can be reached at
mary.burke at unt.edu or oksana.zavalina at unt.edu.

Thank you for your time.

LG‐87‐18‐0197‐18 project team at the University of North Texas:
Mary Burke, Research Assistant
Dr. Oksana Zavalina, Principal Investigator
Dr. Shobhana Chelliah and Mark Phillips, Co-Principal Investigators