30.2898, Confs: Applied Ling, Lang Acquisition, Psycholing, Socioling, Typology/Netherlands

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 25 02:29:40 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2898. Wed Jul 24 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2898, Confs: Applied Ling, Lang Acquisition, Psycholing, Socioling, Typology/Netherlands

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 22:27:16
From: Eva Knopp [e.knopp at let.ru.nl]
Subject: Neighbour Languages and the Plurilingual Classroom (S103)

Neighbour Languages and the Plurilingual Classroom (S103)

Date: 09-Aug-2020 - 14-Aug-2020
Location: Groningen, Netherlands
Contact: Eva Knopp
Contact Email: e.knopp at let.ru.nl
Meeting URL: https://www.eventure-online.com/eventure/login.form?Uf7d080c8-98a4-48ad-b7f4-0c302630dd35#

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Psycholinguistics; Sociolinguistics; Typology

Meeting Description:

(Session of World Congress of Applied Linguistics)

This symposium is dedicated to the learning and teaching of neighbour
languages (NL). We will discuss how new plurilingual approaches to language
learning can be applied to the NL-classroom and, vice versa, how the specifics
of NL can contribute to a better understanding of second and foreign language
learning and teaching.

Featured Speaker:
Joana Duarte (Rijksuniversiteit Groningen & NHL Stenden Hogeschool)

Organizers:

Eva M. Knopp (Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen)
Sabine Jentges (Radboud Universiteit Nijmegen)

Long description:

While European integration has led to a steady increase in cross-border
mobility, borders are still perceived as linguistic and cultural boundaries.
This is amplified by the rise of English as a lingua franca, on the one hand,
and increasing linguistic diversification within each country, on the other
hand, which have led to a decline of speakers that know their neighbour
language (NL). Despite high economic demands for such speakers and despite
supportive EU language-policies (e.g. mother tongue plus 2), NLs have not been
central to debates on foreign language (FL) curricula.

However, new approaches to multi- and plurilingualism, as reflected in the new
CEFR-compendium, provide the perfect opportunity for a better integration of
NL in FL-curricula. In the NL classroom, we can make use of the geographical,
cultural and often typological closeness of the native and target language.
Through geographical and cultural closeness NL teaching allows for the
development of critical cultural awareness in the region. Furthermore, the
typological closeness of many NLs provides a perfect opportunity to foster
inclusive plurilingual strategies (e.g. receptive multilingualism) and
multilingual language awareness.

In this symposium, we invite researchers and practitioners to present on the
potential of NL-didactics in the multi- and plurilingual classroom.