30.2903, Qs: Participation in the COST network SLA&lit

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Jul 25 02:51:06 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2903. Wed Jul 24 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2903, Qs: Participation in the COST network SLA&lit

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 22:49:58
From: Martha Young-Scholten [martha.young-scholten at newcastle.ac.uk]
Subject: Participation in the COST network SLA&lit

We are inviting people to join the COST network SLA&lit we will apply for in
the next round, applications due 5 September. We are in the process of
compiling the application and don't yet have a draft to share, so please trust
our sincerity and expertise!  The action's title means SLA is the starting
point, and use of an ampersand and lower-case lit indicates influence of not
study of literacy.

The network will revolve around the gaps in our knowledge in two communities
of practice: the community represented by Literacy Education and Second
Language Learning for Adults www.leslla.org and the
generative-linguistics-based Second Language Acquisition research community.
For the first one, much is now known about the literacy development of adults
with little or no formal schooling upon immigration and about how best to
support that development. For the second, much is now known about the
interlanguage morphosyntax, syntax and phonology and vocabulary learning of
classroom and uninstructed adult learners. However, in both communities,
little is known about adults’ development of linguistic competence without
literacy. This points to a major research gap where an important learner
population has been neglected to the detriment of practitioners and other
educators for whom there are no implications for working with these learners.

The action brings together those who already conduct research relevant to
SLA&lit and those who would like to do so and/or will encourage their students
to do so.

For those unfamiliar with the EU COST actions (https://www.cost.eu/), these
are at least two-pronged: (1) face-to-face meetings among researchers who
share relevant findings, identify gaps, encourage new research and put forward
a research agenda to expand investigation; (2) transmission of progress to
stakeholders. Dissemination thus involves not only conferences, workshops and
academic publications, but also meetings with user groups, accessible
newsletters and a website.

SLA&lit will 1) share existing findings, start new small-scale studies within
the network and convey existing and new findings to stakeholders (e.g.
practitioners); 2) combine existing data bases/corpora; 3) agree upon a
research agenda for the longer term; 4) make recommendations for assessment
tools across languages.

The network members will meet for three several-day meetings for which
members’ participation will be fully funded, in Palermo, Istanbul and
Newcastle. We will include a range of additional activities to support prong
(2) which will be funded when relevant.

The Action’s main objective is to guarantee that both in the short term and
the longer term a sufficient portion of SLA research is carried out on
non-/low-literate adult migrants to guide design of teaching methods and
materials and to inform valid learner assessment.

Funded members are limited to European countries, and we are particularly
looking for participants from these countries right now: Albania, Bosnia and
Herzegovina, Bulgaria, , Czech Republic, Estonia, Croatia, Hungary, Lithuania,
Latvia, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, , Romania, Slovenia,
Slovakia, the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, Republic of Serbia

Martha Young-Scholten
Newcastle University (UK)