30.2422, Books: The Oxford Handbook of Event Structure: Truswell (ed.)

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Wed Jun 12 17:25:31 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-2422. Wed Jun 12 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.2422, Books: The Oxford Handbook of Event Structure: Truswell (ed.)

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Coburn <jecoburn at linguistlist.org>

Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2019 13:25:19
From: Alyssa Russell [Alyssa.Russell at oup.com]

Title: The Oxford Handbook of Event Structure
Series Title: Oxford Handbooks

Publication Year: 2019
Publisher: Oxford University Press
	   http://www.oup.com/us

Book URL: https://global.oup.com/academic/product/the-oxford-handbook-of-event-structure-9780199685318

Editor: Robert Truswell

Hardback: ISBN:  9780199685318 Pages: 736 Price: U.S. $ 150

Abstract:

This handbook deals with research into the nature of events, and how we use
language to describe events. The study of event structure over the past 60
years has been one of the most successful areas of lexical semantics, uniting
insights from morphology and syntax, lexical and compositional semantics,
cognitive science, and artificial intelligence to develop insightful theories
of events and event descriptions. This volume provides accessible
introductions to major topics and ongoing debates in event structure research,
exploring what events are, how we perceive them, how we reason with them, and
the role they play in the organization of grammar and discourse. The chapters
are divided into four parts: the first covers metaphysical issues related to
events; the second is concerned with the relationship between event structure
and grammar; the third is a series of crosslinguistic case studies; and the
fourth deals with links to cognitive science and artificial intelligence more
broadly.

The book is strongly interdisciplinary in nature, with insights from
linguistics, philosophy, psychology, cognitive science, and computer science,
and will appeal to a wide range of researchers and students from advanced
undergraduate level upwards.

Linguistic Field(s): Computational Linguistics
                     Morphology
                     Psycholinguistics
                     Semantics
                     Syntax

Written In: English  (eng)

See this book announcement on our website:
http://linguistlist.org/pubs/books/get-book.cfm?BookID=136236