30.1144, Qs: Resources on Speakers of Languages at the Country Level

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Thu Mar 14 03:27:34 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1144. Wed Mar 13 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1144, Qs: Resources on Speakers of Languages at the Country Level

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2019 23:25:51
From: Arle Lommel [arle.lommel at gmail.com]

I am looking for recommendations for resources with broad, consistently
sourced statistics on numbers of speakers of languages within various
countries and territories. Although it is simple to find resources for single
countries, studies covering larger areas with consistent methodology are
difficult to find. Thus far the best example of what I am looking for is the
Eurobarometer study commissioned by the European Commission in 2014 (with data
summarized at https://languageknowledge.eu/). This is particularly useful
because it breaks the data down by first and subsequent languages. Although it
is not without its issues, it applies a consistent methodology to the the
countries it covered.

I am hoping readers may be aware of similar studies for other regions.
Ethnologue, of course, has a lot of very granular data about this topic, but
draws from many different sources and dates, which limits reliability, and
does not distinguish between L1 and languages learned later in life, something
important for my research.

-Arle Lommel

Linguistic Field(s): Sociolinguistics