30.1188, Confs: Applied Ling, Forensic Ling, Gen Ling, Phonetics, Socioling/Austria

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 15 06:07:47 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1188. Fri Mar 15 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1188, Confs: Applied Ling, Forensic Ling, Gen Ling, Phonetics, Socioling/Austria

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:06:50
From: Barbara Soukup [barbara.soukup at oeaw.ac.at]
Subject: Workshop in Gedenken an Sylvia Moosmüller

Workshop in Gedenken an Sylvia Moosmüller

Date: 08-Apr-2019 - 08-Apr-2019
Location: Vienna, Austria
Contact: Michael Pucher
Contact Email: office at kfs.oeaw.ac.at
Meeting URL: https://speech.kfs.oeaw.ac.at/wsm2019/

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; Forensic Linguistics; General Linguistics; Phonetics; Sociolinguistics

Meeting Description:

With great sadness in our hearts but in gratitude for and celebration of her
life and many scholarly contributions, we invite you to join us for a
symposium honoring our dear colleague Sylvia Moosmüller, who sadly passed away
in April 2018.
The symposium is organized by the Acoustics Research Institute (Austrian
Academy of Sciences).

Date/time: April 8, 2019 @9:30am
Venue: Acoustics Research Institute, Vortragssaal, Wohllebengasse 12-14, 1040
Vienna
Conference website: https://speech.kfs.oeaw.ac.at/wsm2019/

The various contributions honor Sylvia Moosmüller’s work in acoustic
phonetics, sociophonetics, dialectology, language processing, and forensic
linguistics.
Please register by March 31, 2019 with an e mail to: office at kfs.oeaw.ac.at

Our obituary for Sylvia Moosmüller is posted below. We look forward to
welcoming you in this memorial celebration.
With best regards,
Michael Pucher and Peter Balazs

Sylvia Moosmüller (1954-2018)
With great sadness we have to announce the passing of our dear colleague
Univ.-Doz. Dr. Sylvia Moosmüller. As Group Leader of the Research Group for
Acoustic Phonetics at the Acoustics Research Institute (ARI) of the Austrian
Academy of Sciences, she significantly contributed to the success and
excellent international reputation of our institute and its research.
Sylvia Moosmüller studied English, Romance languages, as well as general and
applied linguistics at the University of Vienna. In 1984, she earned a
doctorate in applied linguistics with her dissertation on “Soziale und
psychosoziale Sprachvariation: eine quantitative und qualitative Untersuchung
zum gegenwärtigen Wiener Deutsch”. She subsequently worked on various projects
on Viennese German, often in cooperation with Univ. Prof. Dr. Wolfgang
Dressler. At the same time, she engaged in research in the areas of feminist
linguistics and gender studies. In 1992, she joined the ARI (formerly
‘Commission for Acoustics Research’), then headed by Doz. Dr. Werner Deutsch,
for work in the area of forensic phonetics. In 2008, she obtained the venia
legendi for applied linguistics and phonetics/phonology with her post-doctoral
thesis on “Vowels in Standard Austrian German: An Acoustic-Phonetic and
Phonological Analysis”. In addition to her teaching at the Universities of
Vienna and Graz, she also held outside courses on “Logopedics-Phoniatrics and
Audiology”.
Over many years, Sylvia Moosmüller worked to establish the Research Group for
Acoustic Phonetics at the ARI, which carried out numerous successful national
and international research projects under her leadership. From 2008 to 2015,
she was also Deputy Director of the ARI.

Sylvia Moosmüller’s main scholarly foci were the phonetic and phonological
variation in Austrian German, as well as the acoustic-phonetic description of
vowels in selected other, under-researched languages. At the same time, she
conducted research in the areas of forensic phonetics, sociophonetics, and
clinical phonetics. As Secretary General of the IAFPA (International
Association for Forensic Phonetics and Acoustics) and member of the Expert
Working Group ‘Forensic Speech and Audio Analysis’ (FSAAWG) of the European
Network of Forensic Science Institutes (ENFSI), she was an internationally
renowned expert in her fields.

Sylvia Moosmüller passed away much too soon, on April 17, 2018, after losing
the battle against grave illness. The Acoustics Research Institute and its
members mourn hers as the loss of an excellent researcher and scientist, who,
in her finesse and modesty, was a much cherished and beloved colleague who
will be greatly missed. Our sympathies and thoughts are with her family, to
whom we extend our heartfelt condolences.