30.1196, Calls: English; Spanish; Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Acquisition, Ling Theories/USA

The LINGUIST List linguist at listserv.linguistlist.org
Fri Mar 15 06:19:14 UTC 2019

LINGUIST List: Vol-30-1196. Fri Mar 15 2019. ISSN: 1069 - 4875.

Subject: 30.1196, Calls: English; Spanish; Applied Ling, Gen Ling, Lang Acquisition, Ling Theories/USA

Student Moderator: Jeremy Coburn
Managing Editor: Becca Morris

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2019 02:18:33
From: Vanessa Mari [vanessa.mari at nsc.edu]
Subject: Building a Pathway to Engage Emergent Bilinguals

Full Title: Building a Pathway to Engage Emergent Bilinguals

Date: 06-Sep-2019 - 07-Sep-2019
Location: Henderson, NV, USA
Contact Person: Vanessa Mari
Meeting Email: nvtesol at gmail.com
Web Site: http://www.nvtesol.org

Linguistic Field(s): Applied Linguistics; General Linguistics; Language Acquisition; Linguistic Theories

Subject Language(s): English (eng)
                     Spanish (spa)

Call Deadline: 01-May-2019

Meeting Description:

The NVTESOL Annual Conference will bring together researchers, educators, and
students in the fields of TESOL, linguistics, bilingual education and
multicultural education. NVTESOL provides members with the opportunity to
share diverse, up-to-date ideas throughout the year.

NVTESOL unites scholars and educators from diverse backgrounds who strive to
connect their practices and findings to the classroom. We strive to serve the
teachers of Nevada and design experiences that benefit their classroom
practices. NVTESOL welcomes research studies and practice-oriented
presentations that clearly establish strong connections with our student
demographic and teaching. Our goal is to offer a forum for research findings
with implications for the classroom as well as those interested in pedagogical
approaches to language learning grounded in empirical findings.

Call for Papers:

Potential Conference Presenters,

Nevadans Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (NVTESOL) is now
accepting proposals for its 1st annual conference on September 6-7, 2019. We
are very excited to bring a TESOL Chapter to Nevada and we would appreciate
your support by making plans to attend and submitting a proposal to speak at
this conference.

As a keynote speaker we are happy to host Dr. Ester de Jong. She is a
professor at the School of Teaching and Learning at the University of Florida.
She teaches courses in bilingual and bicultural education and in curriculum,
methods, and assessment for English speakers of other languages.

Proposals can be submitted through our website. Please note our deadline is
May 1, 2019. Please refer to the NVTESOL website for additional information
and updates. Feel free to pass along this information to any interested
parties.

First Annual NVTESOL Conference

Building a Pathway to Engage Emergent Bilinguals

September 6-7, 2019 Nevada State College

Time: September 6; 4:00pm-7:00pm

September 7; 9:00am-5:00pm

The NVTESOL Annual Conference will bring together researchers, educators, and
students in the fields of TESOL, linguistics, bilingual education and
multicultural education. NVTESOL provides members with the opportunity to
share diverse, up-to-date ideas throughout the year.

NVTESOL unites scholars and educators from diverse backgrounds who strive to
connect their practices and findings to the classroom. We strive to serve the
teachers of Nevada and design experiences that benefit their classroom
practices. NVTESOL welcomes research studies and practice-oriented
presentations that clearly establish strong connections with our student
demographic and teaching. Our goal is to offer a forum for research findings
with implications for the classroom as well as those interested in pedagogical
approaches to language learning grounded in empirical findings.

Given the diverse areas in the field of TESOL, please use these topics as
guides in developing your proposals:

Bilingual and Multilingual Communities
Classroom Best Practices and Pedagogies
Curriculum Design and Development
Second Language Acquisition/Pedagogy
Language and Culture/Identity
Social and Cultural Contexts of Learning and Teaching

Interested participants are encouraged to submit a proposal for one of the
following session types:

Poster Presentation
Posters will be on display during the conference, and a separate conference
session will be dedicated for poster-presenters to be present in order to
explain their work and answer questions.  Posters can be used to gain valuable
feedback on theses, dissertations or research. This is a good format for
describing a work in progress, new process or idea. Presenters will have 1
hour to show their work.
30-minute or 1 hour Research-Based Presentation
Research-Based Presentation: A presentation addressing an audience followed by
a Q&A/discussion.  May be original research as well as an original theoretical
investigation by the presenter(s).

1 hour Practice- Based Presentation

Practice-Oriented Presentation: A practical or “hands-on” presentation by the
presenter(s) followed by a Q&A/discussion.  May be a practical demonstration
that engages participants in a theory or an application of pedagogical
methodology.

Proposal Submission Deadline: May 1, 2019

Online registration, proposal submission forms and more detailed information
will be made available on www.nvtesol.org